Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have experience with Straw Bale houses?

Anybody have experience with Straw Bale houses?

I was wondering if anybody had put one up, or lived in one.

tia

Thaddeus

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

Re: Anybody have experience with Straw Bale houses?

I think one of the three little pigs built and lived in one.

They built some straw bale houses in Minneapolis, MN a few years ago. They have all be torn down because of mold.

Re: Anybody have experience with Straw Bale houses

I've considered building a small building to test it out. A straw bale outhouse. Don't have any direct experience but there are several books out on the subject. I have one book but can't find it right now. When I do I'll pass the info on.

Rich

I saw some shows about them on PBS a while back (few years). They built a post & beam frame and filled in between with straw bales. I think they then plastered outside and in. IIRC, they were building in the southwest USA.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I recall reading that these houses need extra wide eaves to help keep moisture (rain) away from the walls. Moisture infiltration is a problem with straw bale and cob constructions.

Steve

Well, I read a 300 page book on the topic. I won't be building with bales. The ease and inexpensiveness that originally attracted me to the idea just aren't there if you don't live in a desert... it is critical that moisture of all kinds (including vapor) is kept out of those walls, and in my part of the country the measures I would need to take would be so complex/expensive/extensive that it would be far simpler and cheaper to just build a wood frame structure.

Pity. It's a cool idea, but just doesn't seem viable for Minnesota.

I've been doing some research on straw bale housing, and have found that they are fairly popular in europe. There are some that are pushing 200 years. I think it all depends on the sealing technique. Recently, there are quite a few that have been built in New England with good results.

I'm thinking that the bales have to be fairly dry before you start. Once finnished, most are stuccoed(sp?) on the outside and plastered on the inside. With an R rating between 50 and 75, it would be worth the effort. I'll let you know if I decide on one.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

I would not allow any smoking inside.

Re: Anybody have experience with Straw Bale houses

There are straw bale homes in Kansas that were built in the 20's and are still used inhabited. I forget what magazine published a feature on that a few years back.

There are many techniques for straw bale construction. I have only seen, under construction, and toured finished examples in Baja California del Norte in Mexico. Those had slab-on-grade floors and conventional roofing (conventional for there... mostly flat ala New Mexico/southwestern style). The corners of the structures were done with cement blocks (grouted) with rebar. Beams ran along the eaves and straw bales were only used to "infill" the walls except for fenestration. They are covered in stucco for a finish that seals the straw.

The average annual rainfall in this desert region is about 3 inches but hurricanes break that monotony at random intervals. It is just my biased opinion but unless you do virtually all the labor yourself, it is not a particularly ecconomical building process.

LIkewise rammed earth and a lot of "cheap"/3rd world techniques loose their economic attraction if you have to locate and hire experienced workers.

Why not just put up some saplings in a "yurt-like" shape and cover with burlap bags soaked in a portland cement/sand slurry? Keep adding bags untill the desired thickness/strength is reached and then plaster the inside and out. The eggshell approach is economical of materials and labor and is fireproof and low maint. Want high tech? Put some course screen in as a layer and durability is enhanced as well as lightning protection.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"