Thread: Cable thru foundation...or outside?

Cable thru foundation...or outside?

In order to extend my shop slab I need to dig up a power line to my garage -- it's in my way. And as long as I have to dig it up, I'll be running 220V to the garage with a sub-panel out there. But this gives me a choice of running the conduit up the outside wall of the shop...or of having the conduit come into the shop thru the slab near the outside wall. What are the pros and cons of penetrating the slab like that?

Pete

Re: Cable thru foundation...or outside?

I ran the conduit on the inside when I built my barn and its fine. The only times I have run on the outside are when the slab has already been poured. Running on the inside makes a much neater installation.

Before pouring the slab for my shop, I installed a 2" diameter PVC sweep elbow so that I could route the cable inside after the slab was done. That was based on my decision to put the panel inside. I used the gray PVC that is approved for electrical installations.

There is no problem with installing the conduit as far as the integrity and strength of the slab is concerned. IMO it makes for a neater exterior appearance.
    Nick

Thanks, Andy and Chevdog. I wanted to go inside, but not if it meant a weakened slab. Sounds like that's not an issue.

Pete

You should check your electrical codes. Some places they get real particular about the distance between 'outside' and the panel. Round these parts, as I understand it, the distance between the outside and the panel has to be 'as short as practical'.

As your inspector if its an issue.