Pete,

Here you go ...

I didn't realize it in my last message, but apparently EBay is a great place for industrial sewing machines and supplies. Just type "industrial sewing machine" in your search box, and you will get dozens of hits. For example, I found leather thread in rolls various colors, for $38.00. Sounds like there are deals there to me.

Plus this Pfaff 545 (good reputation for leather and upholstery work) is being auctioned right now, with bidding at $545 with less than a day to go (I have seem them go for up to $1,700 used):

"Pfaff 545 Large BobbinIndustrial Walking Foot Sewing Machine

PFAFF for Fantastic Fashions ! Work Wonderfully with a Walking Foot!

The Pfaff Model 545 Walking Foot Industrial Sewing Machine is perfect for work on leather, heavy canvas, synthetic canvas, heavy jeans, vinyl, upholstery etc.

This high quality sewing machine includes a table, bobbin winder, thread stand, lamp, belt and powerful motor with switch.

The 110V motor is rated at 1725 RPM and at 1/2HP.

Features of this powerful Pfaff Model 545 Industrial sewing machine are:

Easily lift and lower the presser foot with a knee control.

This machine has a presser foot lift easily of about 3/4 inch.

Simple Adjustment of Length of Stitch with easy access lever

Reverse
Walking Foot
Wide Bobbin and Hook

Used for upholstery, awning, canvas, luggage, automobile trim , coats, leather coats, gloves, overalls, heavy clothing, handbags etc.

This machine is a great addition for Designers, Manufacturers, Needletrade Shops, Leather Designers, Upholsterers etc..

Whether you create fabulous fashions, flags or futons you can finish it with a Pfaff!

BONUS: I will add some extra bobbins and needles with this machine.

We also pre-thread the machine for your convenience and to help you understand how the machine is threaded.

This machine has been tested and has been sewn off and is verified to be in full working condition as of this auction."

End of EBay listing.

Other good brands are: Artisan 797AB, Consew 146RB (Walking foot, reverse & zig zag), Consew 206RB, Consew 226RB, Juki 563, and Singer 211A (or maybe 411A). I have no experience with these, but was told they are good.

Now don't forget, you may need other supplies and accessories, scissors, etc.

If you don't do a LOT of sewing of this type, maybe you would be better off for occasional tears and small repairs, just to do it by hand. Otherwise you may be starting off on a pretty expensive hobby. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]