Thread: solar or battery de-icer

solar or battery de-icer

I just moved our youngest stallion to a pasture at the back of the place .... and it's a little far to be running electrical cable, if I can avoid it.
    Has anyone found a solar powered or battery powered (which I would, of course charge with solar) stock tank or bucket de-icers source?

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Re: solar or battery de-icer

Pete, I've never had your problem in California, but I love low-tech solutions. I'd probably try the following. I'd build a custom brick box out of cinderblock, designed to hold the water trough or tank. The brick box would have three fixed sides and one side removeable for easy access. The fourth side would probably be plywood-preserved, sealed & painted. I'd fill the box with horse manure and set the water trough on top. The plan would be that composting horse manure (in ample supply) would heat the water. The cinder block could be insulated to hold heat in and direct it toward the water. Insulation could back the plywood also holding in heat. And you get compost! Can't say it would work, but it wouldn't need the sun on cloudly days. Last winter my plastic covered compost bin maintained 100 to 120 degrees. In summer its over 150 degrees. Best of luck.

Hey Jonathan ... that's a thought! And it would solve the manure disposal problem for one day too. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    But ... you'd be shocked at how pervasive cold can be! Beleive me, you have to have a pretty deep pile to keep the heat going ... of course, I coulod always hope for more warm winters, or global warming, or breeding a horse that doesn't need water ... LOL
    Thanks for the alternative thought ... I'll let that perc in the back o fthe ole head for awhile ..

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Even easier solution is to get an 8-12" poly pipe. Bury it 8' in the ground. Get an insulated water tank and put a top on it. Leave just enough area for the horse to drink. The ground heat will keep the water from freezing.

I've seen solar powered de-icers in pond supply companies. They were expensive. Here's one - http://stocktankde-icer.com/

Keeping the water circulating from the bottom will keep a tank from freezing until it gets cold enough to freeze the entire thing solid. You can do this with a battery powered aquarium pump and an air diffusion stone. Take an old solar fence charger that doesn't work anymore, replace the battery and disconnect the hotwire circuit. This gives you 4 volts. There are plenty of 3 volt (2 D Cell) aerators available and they run just fine on 4 volts. Put the fence charger on a post with the aerator wired in and run the air line to the tank. Make sure the airstone is on the bottom. Paint the sides of your tank black to solar heat during the day, and you're done.

The bubble thing is great in a place where it doesnt get that cold and that the ice can melt off in the warm afternoon sun.

Wont work somewhere like here in MI. Will definatly freeze right over with just bubbles.

Ken H.