Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel truck buying advice??

Diesel truck buying advice??

I am in the market for a used diesel truck. I am looking for something 2000 or newer, and leaning more toward a Dodge with Cummins engine, or a Ford Powerstroke 3/4 ton size.

While I would love to have a new one, I just cannot get over the initial cost. Same thing goes for the Chevy/GMC Duramax models, I hear good things about them, but can't find anything that fits in my price point yet.

So, the point is without trying to start a brand war, are there any issues I should be looking at with these models? Any known problems. Anyone have any experience with extended warranties added after 70000 miles or so?

Re: Diesel truck buying advice??

Well, I've had two Ford Superduty Powerstrokes and loved them both. The first was a 99 F250 XLT Supercab, 4WD, Powerstroke, 8' bed. I got it used with 7,000 miles on it, put 70,000 miles on it in 2 years and had no major problems. It got a waterpump, front balljoints, and one door latch, all done under warranty.
    Due to a change in my family situation I decided the Supercab wasn't quite super enough. Fortunately, because of the diesel and excellent condition, even with almost 80,000 miles on the truck I still had excellent equity, not to mention another 20,000 miles of factory engine warranty. So I moved up to a 2001 F350 XLT Crewcab Dually - otherwise the same as the 99, right down to the colors! So far I have about 45,000 miles on this one, and no problems so far.
    I can't say you'll have the same luck, but I'd buy another Superduty in a heartbeat.
    Also check out www.thedieselstop.com - there's a lot of complaining going on, but theres also lots of good info if you can sort through the B.S.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Hi Jeffghs
    I own a Dodge cummins 1997 just hit 170,000 miles have had no problem with engine at all i love the truck we pull a three
    horse gooseneck trailer also a 39 foot camper pumper pull
    and soon my tractor so good luck better gas mileage than my chevy trailblazer
    EDT

Both the Dodge and Ford are great trucks. The auto sucks on both of them. Plan on replacing it with a beefier one if you do any serious towing. You can't get a crew cab with Dodge. No matter what people will tell you a supercab is not anywhere close to a crew cab. If you have kids or plan on hauling people in the back get a crew cab. If not either one will do.

As far as the engine goes they are both pretty bulletproof. You can tune both up pretty easy if you want.

I appreciate the responses. I tried to trade my mini-van in and the dealer only offered $4500, Kelley blue book trade-in value was $7700, so needless to say that didn't happen.

I was looking at a 2000 f-250 auto with 80000 miles. Some things I noticed, and please tell me if these are common for diesels, are leaking seals (light oil coating) front & rear. The cold return for the turbo was dripping oil. The carrier bearing had about 1/4 inch play in it (how much if any is normal?)

Cowboydoc, I know what you mean by going to a full crew cab, but extended cab will work for me. My other truck is a crew cab, but I am still waiting for it to grow up (2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab). That will likely be turned over to the wife, and I will get the bigger truck.

Because the wife will occaisionally drive the big one as well, I will probably opt for an automatic. You mentioned replacing with a beefier one, do you know of any sources for upgraded trannies, or do you mean purchasing heavier parts when they go?

Thanks again.

None of that is "normal". What specific seals were leaking? The turbo worries me the most. It shouldn't be dripping oil at all. You do have a 5 year 100k warranty though. I'd have them fix all of that before I bought it if you were really serious and give you a 5 or 10k warranty on the repairs that aren't part of the engine warranty.

The best place for a transmission rebuild is Brian's. I'll try and get his email for you. That would be the first thing I would do is take it to him to rebuild if you are going to be towing alot. If you aren't going to be towing much it will last you a long time.

jeffghs, BD is one of many sources of "improved" trannys as well as other nice stuff like exhaust brakes, devices to lock up your torque convert when braking and on and on.

TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) is a quarterly publication devoted to Dodge Cummins Diesel trucks. Therefor the advertisers in same are for Dodge trucks (diesel and otherwise) Back issues can be bought from the publisher for a "test drive". They have a web presence at http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

August, 2003 - Vehicle Dependability: Power Stroke Diesel Engine Woes Annoying Ford's Customers

Automaker tries to soothe angry nerves. Ten months after it rolled out a diesel engine for heavy-duty pickups, Ford Motor Co. faces a chorus of quality complaints from owners who are among the company's most loyal customers.
    Source: Detroit Free Press (August 20, 2003)

One of the informative tidbits on the web site.

I have been an avid reader/subscriber since I got my 1997 Dodge/Cummins dually 1 ton. I recently replaced my stock tranny and torque converter with a BD brand HD unit. For example the converter has kevlar triple clutch disk. Tranny is specked for the higher output hot rodded units. Mine is only mildly boosted in HP and torque. I'm running a mod by "Dr. Performance" a much higher pressure injector pump and much finer holes in the injectors. I have documented significant but not wild increase in HP and torque A N D simultaneoulsy get about 10% better fuel economy. Not magic, just higher combustion efficiency and one eye on the pyro just to be safe.

This is my first non Ford pickup. My previous truck was a HD 3/4 ton Ford diesel which I enjoyed a lot and sold to a friend who loves it. The 1 ton dually Dodge gets better economy while carrying and pulling more weight. I drove the same mountain roads in both, carying campers (bigger/heavier on Dodge) and the Dodge is superior (even before I uprated the HP and torque) I have no personal experience with the new Power Joke Fords or the 24 valve Cummins but by most accounts (ignoring the thousands of recent engine complaints from Ford owners) both trucks are good machines.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/BuyersGuide1.htm

This will get you a write up of interest to new/used shoppers

Turbo Diesel Buyer's Guide
    Everything Old Is New Again
    Updated: November, 2001

The title is from a local newspaper advertising campaign. It fits as a lead-in to the Turbo Diesel Register’s Turbo Diesel Buyer’s Guide as it captures the excitement that comes as you search for the perfect used vehicle – one that is “new again” for the buyer.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I did not end up getting that f-250, and will not based on the business practices of that dealership.

It is good to know that the leaking is not normal. I had a mechanic here tell me the rear seals usually only last about 20,000 miles, then it is not unusual to develop a slow leak which is not significant, as there is generally less than a pint lost between oil changes. If this is not the case, maybe it is time for me to find a new mechanic to talk to.

As for the oil dripping from the turbo return, I figured this may be a leaking boot on the lower end by the cooler. The upper one looked like it had been replaced, but the lower one looked like it may need to be. All of the boots are marked that they contain oil residue, so I didn't know if there was enough residue to create a drip at a bad boot

Another thing I overlooked, but my brother-in-law (he is looking for the same type truck) pointed out was that the rear end had a bad corrosion problem. The most likely cause for this is the truck was used to pull boats from salt water here on the Gulf coast.

Anyway the search continues. I still have yet to drive a Dodge with a Cummins, but I was quite impressed with the Ford. I appreciate the input, these are the things I am looking for.

I've driven the '99 Ford F250 4x4 crew cab PS a bit(friends). I have an '01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins quad cab.

I like the Dodge. I like it for ergonomics, and the Cummins. I only have 34,000 miles, with no issues. Not much miles though... I haul tools, camp, tow the Kubota and occasionally a Bobcat. It huals and powers just as good if not a bit better than a buddies F450, although those F450's do have some really good brakes.

I like Ford trucks. I wouldn't mind a F250 with a Cummins in it. That would be an awesome truck! All my Fords were gas, and did really well, although my '80 F250 with a Calif smogged 400ci engine was real pathetic in the power department.

If I were to get a truck today, right now, this is what I would look at. I would get a Dodge. I would get a stick instead of my auto. Also, the Cummins does not need 4.11 gears for what I do. I give up some mileage because of low gears and auto. I would also look at a flat bed. Regular pickup beds are about the most useless things there is. I would stay with the quad cab size. I do not need a crew cab. It would be a 4x4, with tow and camper package.

I would not hesitate to get a equivilant Ford. I like the Dodge a little more, grew up around Mopars, and my Dad has worked at the parts counter of my dealer since '68.Many folks there have known me since I was 5. They give me a good price I could not get from other dealers, Dodge or Ford.

Well to let everyone know how this turned out, I should be taking delivery of an '02 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD ext cab with the Duramax/Allison combo Pewter in color. 66,000 miles (mostly highway miles, previous owner was in sales and used it for most of his travel) on it. I appreciate all the help here. I can't say I found anything bad about any of these brands. I drove several F-250's but most had been worked pretty hard. I think I mentioned it earlier, but on the Gulf Coast, many heavy duty trucks had been used to pull boats out of the salt water here, and the rear ends had been submerged and corroded pretty bad. Many had rear seals that were leaking as well.

Something that made me think really hard was dealer support. In Virginia where I have land, we have a family friend who has a GMC dealership (very small he does the sales and service), so I can rely on him for service down the road and not worry about getting taken to the cleaners (something I picked up from here and TBN).

Thanks again for the help.
    Jeff