Thread: Robbing bees

Robbing bees

Fellow Beekeepers,

How's this years crop?
    Although the weather has been "WET" bees still seemed
    to put on a decent crop here in New Hamsphire.

1200 pounds from 15 packages started April 4, 2003! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Dave
    Fremont, NH

Re: Robbing bees

Not being into the apiary arts I don't know what a "package" is but I know that 1200 lbs is a lot of honey, weighed with comb or without! Congratulations on your good fortune and bontiful harvest.

So, what is a package? I know what a hive is and 80 lbs per hive sounds kinda high but I really don't know.

Was that 1200 lbs raw with comb or what? What is the current selling price per lb for your honey. Do you get stung much (ever?) and do you develop an immunity?

What sort of nectar was available for your bees. Out west I've had sage honey, clover is common, and bees kept for citrus production have neat flavored prolduct. I've seen bee boxes set up for truck farms growing cucumbers but never tasted pickle honey (that I know of).

Again, congratulations on your results,

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Alfalfa and Mesquite honey - the best! Used to get that in Arizona. Pure mesquite honey is dark and strong, so the hives on the edge between desert and farm had the best ever!

Wow!

I though I did good. So far about 30 punds from my first every hive I started this summer from a nuc. And yer not even supposed to get any honey the first year ... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Next year, I'll put in 4 or 5 more.

Don't know how many lbs. but I jarred up a few cases of quarts. Sourwood is the honey of choice but I noticed the bees working clover, privot hedge, and flower nectar all summer long I believe. I'm allergic to beestings and got ate up the last time I was in mine. They got under my veil somehow. I left 2 supers of honey on 9 hives. They should have plenty to eat for this mild SC winter. I realy should sell them I guess before they become the death of me.