Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses and Clover

Horses and Clover

Two years ago we had our 3 acre pasture seeded with a pasture mix that included clover. As our second summer is drawing to a close, it appears that clover dominates. With all the rain we've received this summer (9 inches above normal this summer) I have not had a chance to finish the fence, so our horses have yet to be on it [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

However, before they are, I thought I'd ask

1. Is clover bad for horses?

2. If it is, is there any way, e.g., overseeding, of getting other grasses to grow.

Re: Horses and Clover

It's fine Mike. I make ALOT of clover hay for my horses. They may get the slobbers but it doesn't hurt them. If they slobber excessively just take them off if it bothers you. Clover will also die out over a few years. We overseed clover quite often as the first few years it grows really well and make great hay.

Mike,

Grazing clover shouldn't hurt the horses. However, when ever turning horses out on pasture the first time, introduce them slowly by limit grazing time at the beginning and slowly increasing the amount of time each day. This is especially important with grazing as rich as clover. You usually don't need to do this in the spring if the horses are on pasture as it comes on.

I do not like clover hay for horses because of the "dirt" factor. It can lead to respiratory problems.

Larry
    Larry

What dirt factor?

Interested in the " Dirt Factor "

Is this from grazing or hay.

Almost as though the clover is too short.

Egon

I don't know why, but all the clover hay I've worked with and as a kid, thats what was mostly raised where I grew up was always very "dirty" meaning alot of dust, chaf, etc.

The grass hays and alfalfa doesn't have anywhere near this problem.

I have a fair amount of experience with hay, as a kid, I made all my money baling hay for neighbors, been around horses almost all of my life, have a degree in animal science from Purdue, and taught Vo Ag for 9 years

Larry
    Larry

Like Richard said the clover should thin out in a couple of years. Excessive red clover causes slobbers. There is one kind of clover to stay away from, it's called Alsike. I'm not sure how common it is, but I know Agway sells it.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/croplive/pl...ike/alsike.htm

All depends on how you bale it. If you wait for clover to turn it's junk. YOu have to cut and bale it either before bloom or right when it's in bloom. If you wait on clover it will be similiar to straw. If you bale it green there is no dirt at all to it, at least all the clover I've ever put up. You open up the bale and it's just like alfalfa or grass.

Over the years I have bought loads of clover because the guy it was intended for had heard horror stories. You can get it at a good price when that happens [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] bcs

We don't use baled clover but we do have a fair amount of wild clover in the pastures - the horses love it and seek it out. Must be tastier than the fescues.