Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: screw gun

Re: screw gun

Thanks guys, sounds like not too many are impressed with the screw guns. I did notice in my research that there are different nose pieces for the guns & some even have an adjustable torque. I have a Milwaukee 14 volt cordless drill, so I will start with that & see how it works.

Have you seen the drywall screw adaptor that fits any cordless, or corded, drill. It chucks up like a regular bit. It's magnetic so it holds the screw, and automatically releases the screw at the correct depth. Here's a link http://www.gyplok.com/Gyplokweb/Dimhow.htm

Here's a DeWalt unit that looks a little different http://www.toolking.com/dewalt/view.asp?ID=1824
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

My Milwaukee has an adjustable clutch which works real well. I've used it for everything from decking to metal roofing and have always been able to get it adjusted to work OK.

You can also get different nose pieces for the Milwaukee to work with a wide range of hex and phillips fasteners.

I have an old Makita 9 volt that I bought back in the 80's. I think it was one of the original models before the battery type drill/drivers became popular and its still going srrong 20 yrs later... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

HOWEVER.... When I was building my house i knew this drill wasn't strong enough to handle the punishment i was going to put it through so I bought a Dewalt 18 volt hammer/drill/driver for $150 from harbor freight (Factory recon) and 3 yrs later its still going strong. Out of the two batteries at a cost of about $90 a piece [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] one of them won't hold a charge any longer, but like I said before, I used the hell out of it when I was building my house and that included drilling concrete and using tapcons, and tons of wood screws [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Hey Gary, I bought and used one of those "Dimpler" things several years ago. Hated it! Maybe mine was defective but the bit wouldn't stay in place. Nearly every screw would keep the bit after it was driven. I'm sure I threw it away.

The other advantage to a true screw gun is the bit is declutched from the motor. You can lock the motor "on" and still load screws to the bit as it runs. The bit only spins when you push the screw into the material. Really speeds things up once you develop the rhythm [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

That's a better way for sure. But for someone putting up 4 or 5 sheets of drywall, the dimpler works pretty good. And the price was right. The one I have is made by Vermont American. I've not had any screws grab the bit, but I can see where it might happen.

I didn't know that the bit's on the screwguns stopped when not under pressure. That would make a difference.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Hi guys, thanks for all the responses. I have seen the dimpler before but since I am using hex head screws for the steel sheeting that wouldn't work. I used the 14 volt Milwaukee today. It worked real well. Only thing that might improve on it, is one of those magnetic screw holders that have the thing that slides over the screw. It keeps it straight, especially if you are using a longer screw as I am. I do have one but it is a longer one & doesn't work that well because I have to use a good bit of pressure to get the self tapping screw started. I think when I put up the steel for the siding & for under the porch area of the barn that it will definitely help. I guess I didn't need the screw gun afterall.

As far as screwguns go my dad has always used the black and decker industrial versions in 30 years hanging sheetrock. Even after they quit making them (he's anti dewalt) he has pieced together from spares for the last few years. He has now retired and I am getting ready to sheetrock my own house. Just as my luck would have it parts supply has dried up. I am now comparing the models and was wondering how the milwalkee and makita compare.

Patrick

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    my dad has always used the black and decker industrial versions in 30 years hanging sheetrock. Even after they quit making them (he's anti dewalt)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you or your dad know that Black &amp; Decker OWNS Dewalt? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I was once told of a story of a customer at a hardware store talking to someone related to B&amp;D, he told them how he thought B&amp;D was junk and for HIS money, he was buying "good stuff" (Dewalt). As the story went, the B&amp;D dude just nodded his understanding that the customer didn't want the "X" dollar B&amp;D, but went for the more expensive Dewaltl. Seems the Dewalt purchase might have helped out his 401-K a bit more than the B&amp;D line [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Richard

Holding the screw gun differently will help more than a different bit holder. Place your thumb and index finger across the back strap area and use your pinkie/3rd finger to run the trigger. This basically puts the motor in the palm of your hand and will give you more control and allow more pressure to be applied to the screw. Look at arrow in attachment. Feels funny for awhile, but it does work better.