Thread: kit houses

kit houses

Howdy all,
    Newbie here...just discovered y'all and tractorbynet...life's fun. Am looking into building my own house and thinking about kit houses among other options...panelized houses look intriguing. About 15 years ago I decided it would be nice to be dept free and started on a journey of buying dives and fixing for resale as a means to do so. Have done 2 modern houses and 3 Victorians. The Victorians were our favorite, each built in the 1890s. The last one took 3 years. It was abandoned and was pretty much a frame on a decent foundation. My first farm, very cool. these folks didn't even have indoor plumbing or electric till 1945. we called it the Middle of NoWhere farm...okay it was a little south of nowhere, but close enough. Anyway...have done all the restoration work on all these places and figure building couldn't be much more difficult so I'm thinking that might be the next plan. Real estate in our area has become harder to find so i am thinking of buying land or building on our existing land. we moved from the middle of nowhere 5 months ago to be closer to work (was commuting 200 miles a day), and the only thing we found was on a fairly busy road... a freeway compared to the middle of nowhere. there's a nice site at the back of the property where i may build once i finish restoration on the house i'm in. seems it would be easier having everything on site to live and work with, then i could rent the current house for income. don't relish the idea of being a landlord, but as i enter my dottage, it might be nice
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . anyway, i look forward to hearing your experiences and sage advice.
    paul

Re: kit houses

When we built our house 6 years ago, we went with an outfit called "President Homes". They set us up as the general contractor, and once we had the basement in, supplied all the materials. Their crew framed, installed windows and doors, and sheathed the roof. We installed the (supplied) shingles, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing . We had subs do the drywall and flooring.(and the well , and the septic.)
    Their architects will draw up any floor plan you want.
    Their Web site now mentions a panelized framing option if you want to frame it yourself.

They can also provide financing, if needed.
    You can find them at:
    http://www.presidenthomes.com
    and see if they work in the state where you live.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    have done all the restoration work on all these places and figure building couldn't be much more difficult

[/ QUOTE ]

I know some folks who say building from scratch is less difficult instead of more difficult than doing restoration/remodeling. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] And with what little experience I've had, I'm inclined to think the same thing.

check thisse guy out: www.shelter-kit.com

The Mrs. and I have been at it since June. Outside of excavation and concrete we're doing it all ourselves. Shelter-kit, so far, was well worth the investment.

I figure we will have saved no less than 70K and got back three times as much in the form of education and experience!.

r-y

thanks all for your replies and sites...it's great stuff.
    paul