Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Farm - Toxic Chemicals?

Buying Farm - Toxic Chemicals?

I am looking at purchasing part of an old dairy farm in Northern VA. There are several buildings, including the dairy barn, a silo, an old pole barn, an equipment shed, etc. The equipment shed has a closed room on the end that has a sign on the door that indicates that there are farm chemicals stored inside. There are a number of 50 gallon drums in there. I have not gone in to read the labels on the drums. I will do that soon. Does anyone with dairy farm experience have any idea whether there are or were hazardous chemicals in use on dairy farms for weed control, pest control, etc.? Also, should I be concerned about the possiblity of the need for costly chemical cleanup work? THanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Buying Farm - Toxic Chemicals?

Only way to tell is to have some testing done.

Egon

There are numerous cleaning and disinfectants used in dairy farms. There is no harm here. As far as chemicals go there are many chemicals used for farming. Most are harmless if used according to directions and degrade very rapidly. There is rarely a need for cleanup from farm chemicals.

Cowboydoc:

In todays world the chemicals in use will almost assureddly be safe.

This is an old farm and there were days when very toxic chemicals including heavy metals were used frequently. Many of them were not really biodegradable.

What is seen now in the chemical room may not be what was there in the past.

Egon

If you live in Northern Va. You should contact the County. It seems to me that they had an office that could check that for you or at least help you to get rid of it. I think that Fairfax did. These could be cleaning materials but in that quantity I would not chance it.
    Leo

I'm thinking back even 30 years Egon and I sure can't think of anything that would be that toxic in a dairy barn. Now you certainly have some more years of experience than myself and probably have forgotten more than I know. I'm not saying you're not right just I can't think of anything that would be real dangerous.

Make the offer contingent of a clean bill of health from the EPA or some local government agency that deals with toxic chemicals.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

Doc:

Knowledge isnt my forte but do recall some nasty stuff used on farms.

egon

pipeline detergent is extremely alkaline, nasty stuff in small hands, likewise for the acids used, then there could be corn rootworm insecticide. one teaspoon of this stuff can drop a 1000 lb steer within 20 feet of consumption. I heard of a guy once that put some in a dead ewe and then had no coyotes in the area for 4 or 5 years after setting it out where they had been causing a lot of losses.

rjsmit1 and anyone else interrested...

A nice write up about buying rural property.

http://www.dasnr.okstate.edu/landown...al%20Buyer.pdf

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"