Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TXDON??????

TXDON??????

txdon replied to your post at the site: . http://www.countrybynet.com/forums/s...p;Number=17144

I got notified of several posts here (posted by txdon) but can't find. Anyone have any ideas?
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: TXDON??????

Pat, I found your ducks, they came here a few weeks ago and seem content. I was trying to attach the photo but gave up. It worked this time!!!!!
    TX don

Thanks anyway. Although one of them looks a bit familiar, the rest don't so I don't think they are my ducks. You go ahead and adopt them.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

They aren't my ducks, mine are in the freezer.

I'm sure they are "dressed" for the cold... but can they breathe in there? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat

Pat, I was tempted to say that those weren't ducks, but were armadillos in disguise. The beauty berry eating variety. But I didn't.
    I guess it's the season.
    Merry Christmas!

Hmmm, If it walks like an armadillo and quacks like a duck... An armaduck? Teenage mutant ninja armadillos (in disguise?)

At one of my fairly low ponds (down 2-3 feet from full) I scraped some dirt near the water's edge with the box blade and apparently narrowly missed some frogs buried in the mud. They hopped into the water. I know (intellectually) they burrow in for the winter but this was the first actual experience observing that. I hope they got satisfactorily situated because last night it got down nearly to 20 degrees and protected portions of some of the ponds skimed over with ice. This was the fourth good frost of the season.

There were a pair of long skinny animals with long tails runing around quite actively near our bird feeders the other night (in the bright moonlight at 3 AM. They were short in height but long in length with a lot of tail. They were dark in color. Later a pair of larger cat sized animals nearly all white (or real light) with a few darker buff or brown markings came out by these feeders and ran around. My mother saw all this, I didn't.

My best guess is weasel or mink chasing after the rats and mice that are attracted to the seeds dropped on the ground by the birds. Not sure about the white (light) ones. A friend sugested that we have some almost all white skunks around or that it could have been o'possum even though my mom didn't think so.

It could have been a frumious bandersnatch,
    with teeth that bite and claws that catch or
    it might have just been the way she was holding the grapefruit.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    last night it got down nearly to 20 degrees

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, it got that cold here last night! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I thought you guys would be warmer than that. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Steve

We are in a region that is notoriously variable in its weather. Average/mean doesn't count for much here as the standard deviation is so high. Just a few days ago it was predicted to rain the next morning but instead it was bright sun and about 70 in mid PM. Although it was 20 overnight last night it is over 50 now in bright sun. Out of the wind it is literally shirt sleve workin' weather. Last year we didn't get snow until Christmas. Still waiting to see what happens this year.

One thing about our weather, it isn't boring. When I lived in San Diego, you could almost print the weather forecast on the calandar and do as well as they do out here with a full daily workup at the NWS in Norman (40 miles away, home of OU.) We had our fourth significant frost last night and first evidence of a little ice around the edges of a well protected spot in a pond.

Let's compare notes a little later in the season. You will see that unless we have just had passage of a cold front, like yesterday, we will not average as cold as you but at any given moment we could be colder. It is wild, and as I said, not boring.

Any given year there might not be a snow accumulation suitable for making a snowman, snow angel, or snow ball but you can't altogether rule out a blizzard. Although ice storms at just below freezing temps are about our worst event because of the associated power outages which can be of significant length and dangerous driving conditions, especially for folks not trained to drive on ice. (I did 3 winters in Minot, ND driving a 165 mph capable sport car without a scratch but I practiced)

Been a couple of weeks since it was 50 here. For awhile I though the thermometer was broke because it said 34 day and night. Finally brought it in and tested it in the freezer. Everything was okay, so I shoved it back outside and watched it go back to 34 again. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I wish it still said 34, since it now reads 25. (Wonder if I should bring it in again?)

Steve