Thread: fencing goats?

fencing goats?

Can someone give me a web-site on how to correctly fence in goats with electric fencing? Don [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: fencing goats?

THis will give you more than just goat fencing. Personally, I like the stuff at PREMIER. See http://www.agriculture.com/buyersgui...tricfence.html

I use 5 strands of hi-tensile steel electric fence and it works pretty well. You do need to train them to the fence however; goats will see any fence as a challenge and do what they can to get out...

To train my goats, I waited till they were real hungry, dumped a bucket of water on their heads (so they conduct better [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ) and then put a bucket of food just on the other side of the wire so they would hit the fence when they tried to eat...I do need to occassional repeat this...they are stubborn animals. Sounds cruel, but it really only takes a few shocks for them to learn.

We just put up regular stock fence, with a hot strand around the top, one around the bottom and another around the middle.

Steve

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Wow, I guess we're very lucky with our goats. We just use Red Brand No Climb fence which is a four foot fence. Our goats never even try to get out.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Rich,

Better safe that sorry. Our gals make me a little nervous. One can climb a step ladder and has tried to share the top with me and another has figured out how to rattle the stall gate just hard enough to get the latch to pop open. (We keep the outside gates closed with a chain and snap hook, AND latch the barn door from the outside also).

The other reason for electric is predator control. Got a pretty big coyote running around here and I haven't been able to get him yet. Gotta go out and repair the chicken pen today because something made about a 6" hole in the fence last night (but apparently still couldn't get in.) At least if we get some snow I'll be able to find some tracks. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Steve