Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butter and Cheese Making

Re: Butter and Cheese Making

If'n youd a had a BROWN COW think of all the chochlate milk.

I've a sneaking suspision that todays milk from the high producing Holsteins doesn't have a high butterfat content .

Egon

Yeah, Egon, I don't know anything about modern dairy practices. I understand now they milk every 8 hours instead of every 12 hours for higher production. We always had a Jersey milk cow, my granddad had Guernsey, and dad's best friend worked Guernsey dairies all his life. There are always exceptions to every rule, but it seemed to be a generally accepted belief when I was a kid that the Jersey gave the richest milk, the Holstein the highest volume, and the Guernsey the best compromise. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Can't say if that was a fact or not.

And speaking of "brown" and city folks' misconceptions, another of mother's favorite stories about living in Baltimore in the early '40s was that a street vendor came around pushing a vegetable cart in the neighborhood. He also sold eggs. Mother said whoever saw him coming first would knock on the neighbors' doors to tell them the vegetable cart was there. Mother said one day a neighbor knocked on the door and told her the cart was out front and, "He has a good price on eggs today, but make him let you pick out your own. He has some that are so old they've turned brown." [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I figured that was it. But nice to be sure. I don't eat cold cereal much, but when I do I use heavy cream! My wife uses skimmed milk. I don't know how she drinks that stuff.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have pint of cream that we skimmed off that has soured in the refrigerator. Do I have "sour cream" or is that something different?

What would happen if I let this reach room temperature and then churned it? I don't want anyone getting sick.

Is cheese somewhere in this pint's future?

Thanks.

It would do best poured out. Cheese is a possibility but a pint??

Egon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is cheese somewhere in this pint's future?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not cheese that you would want to eat. When I make cheese, I start with a gallon of milk, raise the temperature to around 104F (I think, I can look up the exact number if you want it), and hold it there for a few minutes. Then add a starter culture and rennett. After the milk has turned solid, it has to be cut into curds and the whey drained off. It can then be lightly salted and pressed. After pressing, it is wrapped and left to set at room temperature for several days. They we wax and hang it. I've made cheese from whole milk and 2%. The thicker the milk, the more cheese you get.

The starter culture is made from 3/4 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of store bought buttermilk, since this has a nice, active yogurt culture in it.

As far as store bought milk goes, I figure what I'm actually buying is a "Milk Product". It is so heavily refined and messed with that it bears little resemblance to what originally came out of the cow. It's sort of like those cheap packages of "artificial cheese food product." What exactly is that stuff.

Steve

If you let that cream warm to room temperature and shake it, you'll make some butter and it won't hurt anyone. But of course a pint of cream is going to make about enough butter for two biscuits. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

And no, it ain't nuthin' like the "sour cream" you buy in the store. I happen to be rather fond of store bought sour cream on baked potatoes, fajitas, tacos, etc., but my wife won't touch the stuff. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

And I know nothing at all about making cheese, in spite of having visited the fascinating Tillamook Cheese plant. However, if you have time to do a lot of reading, they have an "Education" section where you can learn a lot. I do know I loved the ice cream and cheese I bought when we were there.

Back when we had cows and had time to milk one. I let the fresh milk stand for a few hours in the fridge. after it seperated ,skim the cream off the top and put it in the food processor let it run for 5 minutes or so ,after it starts to butter up or clump pour off the liquid then salt to taste and let it churn a while longer. A few times and you'll be a pro.
    We really like to add some honey to the finished butter and use as a spread on fresh rolls.

I used to deer hunt in jackson county near hollytree. I am originally from huntsville. I have lived in northeast missouri since 1990