Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses - Scratches..what is it?

Horses - Scratches..what is it?

Is it a disease? Do horses get it from being in mud? How long does it take to cure?

Thanks
    Pete

Re: Horses - Scratches..what is it?

One of our horses recently had it. It took about a month to clear up with very aggressive treatment. I have an article I can send you but I don't have a link to it. Send me a PM with a email address and I can send it to you if you are interested.

Scratches isn't a disease it's a fungus that horses get behind their fetlocks from being constantly exposed to wet conditions. It is tough to get rid of. The horse will be very tender in the fetlock area and will have flaky, scabby skin in this area, esp. in the dip above the hoof. Horses can even be lame from it. But it's only the pain and not actual lameness. The first thing to do is to prevent the area from being wet. Do this by keeping the horse out of wet areas and when it does get wet dry it off. Then you need to treat the area with an antifungal. Your vet can give you one. There are a number of home remedies, bleach is one, but nothing works like the vet medications. I have treated a number of cases and can tell you I have tryed them all and nothing works like the medicated treatments or as fast.

Thanks guys, especially over Christmas. We figured we had to keep it dry but didn't know how long it takes to heal and what to apply to it. I guess we will have to treat it night and day and wash them off and dry it if they go out (in the mud).
    Pete
    Pete

You're exactly right Pete. I forgot to mention. Using all the old time techniques, keeping it dry, etc. it will take a month or so to get it under control. With the medicated spray it takes less than a week.

The key to curing and preventing scratches is to try ( and that can be really hard this time of year) to keep your horses feet and legs dry, and clean helps as well. If they have access to a stall or a run-in/lean to, keep those areas bedded up high, keep them clean and encourage the horses to go in there.
    It can help to cut some of the fetlock hair, this lets the area get air. If you do find yourself dealing with scratches, again, keep the area clean, clean with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water, dry the area thoroughly and then apply zinc oxide. Kepp at this, they can take a week or two to heal up. Good Luck!

Thanks - we are trying to keep the feet dry. The mud in front of the paddock gates is not helping, but it should be freezing up in a few days..
    Pete

I looked in the barn last night and Betagen is what we use. It clears it up very quick. But standing in the mud it won't help as they have to be kept completely dry all the time.

Betagen is a nutritional supplement, I think Doc meant to say Betadine. I usually catch scratches early enough there's not much infection and I'll just use athlete's foot spray on it, tough actin' Tinactin.

No it's Betagen. This isn't a supplement. It's a prescription spray to get rid of scratches.