Thread: Router Bits

Router Bits

What are the prefered router bits. I don't use the router very often but have a winter project to build a computer armoir. Last night I destroyed a few prices of wood using some bits I got from sportsman's guide. Also where is the best place to pick them up at.

As for what routers I have a 3.5 hp Hitachi plunge router and a craftsman mounted on a table.

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Router Bits

Carbide, carbide, carbide. The big box stores have decent router bits anymore, just make sure to get carbide tipped ones and stay away from high speed steel.

If you want top notch and can justify it, Freud makes great bits [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Your profile doesn't mention where you are from but both WoodCraft and Rockler stores carry good router bits. WoodCraft handles Whitesides and Rocker carries Amana bits. I bought my first starter set from MLCS, they are an import from Taiwan but are a good bargin at the price. I agree Freud is a great router bit but you will pay for it. MLCS has a website at bits .
    I also caution you to stay away from high speed steel bits.

Randy

And ill say Carbide again! Ive had high speed steel. Save your money, buy Carbide.

Carbide is right! I've had good luck with Whiteside from WoodCraft. Also with Jesda, I think that's correct, as well as Frund.

Get a copy of Wood magazine at your library. Places selling Frund as well as others will have adds.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Carbide & 1/2 dia - if your router handles it.

"Carbide, carbide, carbide."

"nuff said.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Steve -- I have three routers and use them a LOT. In fact, while I might leave other tools on the workbench overnight, each of my routers is cleaned and put away into its own custom-made box! My favorite bits are Jesada (www.jesada.com) and Whiteside (www.routerbits.com).

Pete

routerbits.com. They sell Whiteside (North Carolina company). Industrial quality. Great prices. Quick shipping and low shipping costs. Incredible selection.

Kevin