Thread: Chickens

Chickens

Does anyone have a plan or idea they would like to share for a layer house that holds 50 but can be set up to really provide warmth in Maine Winters?
    I would be much appreciative as I run a small ministry and can ill afford the expensive plans and books on the subject.
    God Bless,
    Father Eoin
    Vicarage of St. Padraig
    Maine, USA

Re: Chickens

Perhaps give us an indication of what you are envisioning.

What skills and tools are available?
    Are zoning and building codes an issue?
    How big an area is available for the chicken house and outside run?
    What type of natural products are available for free ?
    How about scrounging abilities?
    Feed storage area?
    Disposal of chicken manure?
    Transport for materials?
    Will power be required?
    Water source?
    Size required so chickens do not become overcrowded ?

Sorry for all the questions but we sorta have to be walking in your shoes to get an overall picture to aid in advice.

Egon

First, where are you in Maine? I'm near Bar Harbor.

Secondly, "warmth for chickens" is greatly overrated. If you size the coop properly, combined body heat will do most of it. Feeding them high-energy feed such as cracked corn will do most of the rest.

I've been keeping 3-4 dozen birds in an unheated, uninsulated 10x12 coop for several years. The only thing I've had to do is make sure to collect eggs promptly on really cold days, and keep a birdbath heater in their water dish so they have water available.

You'll need electricity for water deicers and a light. The building doesnt have to be insulated as long as it is enclosed and not too drafty.

You might want to check out half.com for books, you can get extremely cheap books there (less than $5 incl shipping) on poultry raising.

I haven't had a problem with eggs being frozen. I just thaw them out in the fridge and they don't seem any worse for the wear. There's really no way you could collect them in time to prevent freezing here. If I leave a full 5g bucket of water out overnight it turns into a solid ice cube by morning.

Good luck.

Unless you are up on the top of a mountain, you shouldn't need to do anything special to keep chickens warm (once they are adults). I have about 50 hens in a 16x7 coop that I built; its not insulated, and has free flow of air in and out at all times, and I must say, than even last week when it was 18 below zero and the wind was howling, it felt pretty nice in there and the chickens were all just fine. (The eggs will freeze and crack if you do not collect fast enough).

I keep 2 40 watt bulbs in there to extend the laying season, and on really, really cold nights (10 below or colder) I'll leave them on all night for a little extra warmth.

The only really big hassle is I need to bring how water out 3-4 times a day because it freezes so fast. Someday I'll invest in an electric chicken water-er...

Lots of info available on the web about chickens.

Good luck.

Echoing what the others have told you. We've got 15 birds in an 8x8x8 uninsulated coop. The thermometer on the wall never falls below freezing except in really cold weather (below 0), and then it might get into the teens.

Steve

Does anyone know how long it takes to inkubate quail eggs at what temp?
    A house,truck, and 4 acers, let the farming begain

Don't know much about quail.

Steve

Hatching quail eggs is the same process used for chickens. Quail eggs will hatch within 16-18 days, whereas, chicken eggs take 21 days. Set the incubator to 100F, turn the eggs three times per day. Humidity must be high in the incubator with 60% being ideal. Watch the temperature several days into incubation as it may increase due to the energy produced by embryo development. Stop turning the eggs three days prior to hatching.

Joe

I have one of these with the fan and automatic egg turner.You will have a lot better hatching results if you buy the automatic egg turner and the fan,not to mention not having the hassle of having to turn the eggs by hand at least 3 times a day..Hobby incubator