Thread: Storage Barn with living quarters

Storage Barn with living quarters

Hi everyone. Morton Buildings has recently started building residential homes. The exteriors can be either the typical metal siding, brick, wood, or stucco. I am considering building a version that has a 30X42 garage space and small attached (700 square feet) apartment. Has anyone out there done something like this? I have a few logistical questions.
    Thanks,
    Tracy
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

Re: Storage Barn with living quarters

I was just about to sign a deal on a 24 x 48 with a 24 x 20 room. When I received the contract from the builder I quickly realized I need to find another builder. I have never seen such a one sided contract. I am back to taking bids tomorrow [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Dave

Check with Morton. They are pricey, but man do they do a great job. At my current farm they built my horse barn and storage barn. They are working with me on the apartment/residential building because they want one in the area as a model. They are building the shell and insulating and I am contracting out the rest. My concerns are with insurance and building permits. I need advice from those that have walked this road.
    Thanks and good luck finding someone to build your barn. Again, try www.mortonbuildings.com to see their options.

Wow, hey thanx for the link. They actually have a place close to my property ! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Where are you located ? Dave

I received a bid from Morton today. A lot more $$ than the other barns but a lot better construction with a LOT more features and a 50 year warranty. I am seriously considering their bid. Dave

Good. It will be interesting to see what types of cliches you run into with insurance, building inspections, and such. As I stated earlier, Morton is more expensive, but can you believe their quality? Definately worth it...especially since the structure will house mechanicals and furniture. Are they going to build the whole structure, or are you going to finish the inside? Good luck.

The price I mentioned on TBN is for the barn and a 24 x 18 finished insulated room. No insurance issues at all. Permits are no problem. I will do the zoning permit. They do the building permit. Dave