Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dream trip to Maine

Re: dream trip to Maine

Cindy, most rentals are for local use only. That is why they offer free miles. National is the same as every one else. Remember that most rentals serve tourists to the state they are rented in or serve as replacements for primary vehicles during service. If you got in a accident in Maine The rental company could auction the vehicle and file a subrogation claim against you for the full cost of the vehicle. They might also tow it home. You can imagine what the bill would cost. The reason for no out of state travel is that they do not want to get stuck retrieving autos all across the country. I suggest you call the company that you know you do NOT want to use and get a rate quote. Tell them where you are going. See what they say and if the rates are the same. Dave

Do not forget to ask what the TOTAL bill on the rental will be. In Fl there is a tire tax, tourism tax, sales tax and surcharges. If your budget is that close make sure you know the full amount. The rate quoted on the phone does NOT include those taxes. I would also caution you on renting a Kia for a trip like that. I have rented more cars in more cities than I could possibly count. It is not uncommon that they need repairs, do not get optimum milage etc. Once you load that small car down with people, luggage etc it is going to be huffin and puffin up the highway. You might see if any local auto dealers would rent you a car for your trip. Dave

Yeah I found that out. That thrifty price I got from Thrifty included car only. Once I added the insurance it DOUBLED. Bummer.

If you have full coverage auto insurance there generaly is no need to buy the overpriced insurances that the rental companys offer. Check with you auto Insurance carrier. If you do not keep full coverage I would consider buying what they offer. Some credit cards offer free rental insurance coverage as a perk. The first time you rent a car in Florida it can be a real shocker when you return it after a week or two and look at all the surcharges, taxes, taxes and more taxes. But then that is the price that is paid for not having any state income tax. I do not want to poo poo your plans or be the bearer of bad news but I think you are seriously under estimating your costs. I think you would have to plan on rooms in Maine running triple what you figured. At least in places like Bar Harbor and kennebunkport or really any coastal town. I can not remember paying less than $150 a night in season, usually far more than that. The less costly places sell out months in advance. I would budget $100 per night the whole trip. Do not forget about Tolls. They add up. I also always budget $100 per day for food. The small stuff adds up quickly. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Dave

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Cindi, I have an idea on a way to help you figure your expenses. I'm assuming your not a member of AAA. If you're not, I can ask my sister who is to get you a Triptik, which gives you a map with directions to your destination, plus books on the regions you pass through. The book lists motels in the gegion and their prices (also an availuation of the motels as in 5 stars down to one star - I've found that 2 stars are usually all you need for a road trip).

Let me know... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

"forty bucks a night for a single motel room"

Sorry, Cindi, but I think those rooms are taken by the weekly crack-heads and dopers. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I'd spend a little more per night for a little more security.... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Motels next to the interstates in big cities are usually the ones with more thefts, both from vehicles and rooms.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Cray-ap! Sigh. Maybe I'll just visit Orlando. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (approx sixty miles east of me.)

Orlando is nice. So are the Keys and the pan handle. I also love St.Augustine. Have you ever been to amelia Island off Jacksonville ? Dave

Cindi, As you can see, I live in Maine. And I'm afraid that what our fellow CBN'ers have told you is correct. You can't touch a motel room within 50 miles of the coast for under $100 from memorial day through labor day. And the closer to the coast the higher it will be. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

And while not wanting to slight my neighbors to the north, I'm not sure what you are looking for all the way to Ft. Kent. While there are some very nice people along that route, once you get past Bar Harbor area, there is nothing to see but white pine trees. The mountains and lakes are in the western part of the state. But much of the northern territory is owned by paper companies and not even incorporated into towns.

Don't get me wrong.... we would love to take your $$ as part of our tourist season. And it would be well worth every penny. But you will need to bring much more than you're planning. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cindi, if you drive up to the big pines in Ocala and take your photo it is no different than North of Bah hahba. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Not much there. The coast is beutifull as is most of Maine. We get over there about every other year. I can't go too long with out a lobstah roll [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Dave