Thread: Rowdy Young Bull

Rowdy Young Bull

I have a young (10 months) Belted Galloway bull that is getting so rowdy, he will hardly allow anyone in the pasture with him anymore...he isn't being mean, he just acts like he wants to play...

Sunday, I was placing a round bale in the ring feeder and he decided to play with it...almost knocked it out of the forks!!!

He's gentle and broke to lead and will come to a dead stop if you place a rope anywhere on him....but....it's getting to be a real chore to feed or even walk through the pasture without carrying a rope [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Feeding him 18% protein mix grain...is all the protein what's making him goofy???

Any advice appreciated
    GareyD

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Rowdy Young Bull

First, how much grain per day is he getting?

Second, what will you be using him for? Will he be a stud?

Third, this is a question for Cowboydoc!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

That's just a bull. You need to feed him all the protein go grow good esp. if he is going to be used as a breeder so don't cut back on his feed. That's why most guys don't want bulls. They'll just ai or borrow a bull during breeding. Even the gentle ones get rowdy like that.

He's getting about 4 pounds of grain a day...not real sure, the wife feeds the critters...likes to feed them good....I guess that's why we spend more a month on critter food, than we do at the grocery store [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Yep, he's gonna be my bull one of these days.... he's one of them "Oreo Cookie" critters....black on both ends with white fillin' in the middle!!

Thanx
    GareyD

Thanx for the input...

Just a young bull, he'll get over it in a while....that's what I've been telling my wife...and to keep pouring the feed to him...he's just starting to make her nervous, real funny to watch, just scares her to get in the pasture with him!!!

We didn't really want a bull, but with 6 cows/heifers, and them all being Belted Galloways, borrowing a bull wasn't an option...don't know of any others with a couple of hundred mile from me..

Guess I should check into AI...don't know a lot about it....do you have any advice - information you'd like to share....

Appreciate any help...

GareyD

Remember back when you were young ???

Wait till he grows up.

Egon

AI isn't hard. There are several good books out there on doing it. You can also have your vet do it. The main thing is you have to watch your cows and see when they are in heat. Once in heat the ai process takes about 30 seconds. This way you can also breed to the very best bulls out there. It usually doesn't even cost as much to get straws as it does to keep a bull for a year. If you want pm me and I can tell you the whole process. Not sure about giving all the details on an open forum.