Thread: Help with a GE water softener

Help with a GE water softener

I've had this unit a coupl years. It won't regenerate. Well, sort of. It goes through the motions but the water stays hard. I've taken it apart a few times and usually it'll soften once or twice then stop.

I understand it may like the attention, but I must be doing something right(ish). I suspect that it doesn't suck the brine up properly.

Any experience/advice?

Otherwise I'll have to get a new one. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Help with a GE water softener

Someone else had the same problem not so long ago only they had a sears model.

Perhaps check the lines and valves for cleanliness. IE salt build up restricting flow or operation of valves.
    If possible try and watch it go through a regeration cycle and note what happens. Ie, does everything follow the proper operating sequence.
    And maybe first of all try and contact the supplier and see if they have any suggestions.

Egon

Buy a box of "Iron Out". I think that's the name. Follow directions. It will dissolve any iron absorbed by resin and basically rejuvenate it. I've got instructions at home for a Water Boss. If I can find it, I'll post.

Thanks but I have some sort of mechanical problem - when it regenerates properly, the resin softens the water. The problem is it seems to go through the motions without actually flushing the salt through.

I've got the same problem - water level in the tank stays high, looks like it's working, but when its supposed to be going through the brine cycle its only fresh water that comes out of the drain hose, not brine, so its not drawing brine like it should. Like you, it's done this off and on a few times and taking apart the venturi thing and putting it back together seems to get it going again, even though there is no obvious dirt or anything wrong with it. This time though it refuses to start working again so I guess I'll have to call GE and ask them. I've a feeling its just a horrible piece of equipment quality wise, I've had it less than two years.

Please let us know what they say!

I'm hoping its something a few new venturi parts will cure.