Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble in the ADGA

Trouble in the ADGA

This should be an interesting case to follow. Seems the farm hands who have worked for him for several years, and only recently moved onto the farm have turned him in.

This could turn either way, depending on what comes out later.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rdered_goats_1

"Man Charged With Torturing His Goats "
    "MADISON, Wis. - A prominent Wisconsin goat farmer has been charged with animal cruelty for allegedly slicing open a conscious mother goat giving birth and helping burn a goat alive...

The American Dairy Goat Association's Web site lists Considine as president. He also is a Wisconsin Dairy Goat Association director."

Re: Trouble in the ADGA

Thank you for keeping us posted about issues such as this. This story brings up an interesting point: Animal abuse among livestock is often overlooked. I know in the very rural county in which I live, it is almost impossible to have anyone investigated for cruelty or neglect to livestock. There are private organizations that will take in and rehabilitate animals once they ahve been removed, but getting anyone from the government adgencies to even take a look can be very frustrating. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

As if we were sitting on a jury, we need not form opinions until all the facts are in.

Please keep us posted, Stoneheartfarm.

We will be trying to keep an eye on this as well as we can. This is a well respected individual in the goat community, that knows his business well. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. As usual on these things, there won't be much info until the investigation is over. Sure does make big headlines though. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Steve

I do not feel that my statments were condeming of the individual, only the situation. Government agencies and volunteer agencies do not like involving themselves in investigations of livestock operations for two main reasons: 1. What do you do with say, a horse, that has been neglected? Take it to the local shelter? The lack of facilities to deal with large livestock prevents earlier investigations by nonbiased individuals. 2. What is considered cruel to the general public is a fact of large livestock operations. Cows need to be slaughtered for meat, and no matter what method you select, the end result is the same. Therefore, investigations often show a lack of understanding by the complaintant, not the farmer. I am a volunteer for the local, large animal rescue association and see this often.
    The current steps of protocol often leave us in these two positions: 1. It is too late to be of any assistance to the livestock. 2. A situation that is either exaggerated, or false, becomes news. At that point is almost a moot discussion because as you said, the jury (public) has already formed an opinion.

"Therefore, investigations often show a lack of understanding by the complaintant, not the farmer. I am a volunteer for the local, large animal rescue association and see this often."

Unusual to see a "volunteer" of a rescue organization see the point of view that you see.
    95% of the ones I've come across see things from the other side of the fence. That is why most of the ones that I've come across are vegetarians.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

My apologies, if I offended you, Slyder. I did not mean to. My statement was to anyone reading this thread to not make any judgments before all the facts are known. One of the worst court systems on our planet today is the "trial by media".

I have benefited from the rescue movements in some very fine pet companions over the years. I do wish they were not necessary, though.

Jazzdad, thank you for the apology. I admit I was miffed when I first read your reply...then I objectively reread my own and saw that a condemning tone was evident...and for that I apologize...now before this turns into a lovefest... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

>> getting anyone from the government adgencies to even take a look can be very frustrating.

I guess it depends upon where you live. Near me, a woman made an anonymous complaint to Ag & Mkts regarding a local farmer's heifer barn. He was cleared by Ag & Mkts so she filed a complaint with the sheriff, he was cleared again, she then contacted the humane society, he was cleared again and she started the process over. On about the fifth or sixth complaint she made the mistake of giving her name and the dairy farmer's lawyer and the sheriff were able to contact her and let her know that future unfounded complaints would be considered harassment.

I know the farmer and he is a young guy doing a nice job with a small dairy. Through this whole thing he was forced to spend thousands with his vet, nutrition consultant and others to prove that he had a good operation and every step of the way he was being threatened with the loss of his livelihood because the humane society could have seized his entire herd.

I don't know what this woman's motivation was, but if an animal rights activist wants to make a farmer's life miserable in NY he/she can do it pretty easily by complaining to the govt. or humane societies.

There are two sides to every story. I personally became involved as an advocate and volunteer in our area when someone had me investigated because my horses were standing in the snow without horse blankets. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Of course the Sheriff is obligated by law to make a visit. What did he find? My very well fed, fuzzy horses frolicing in the snow...with access to a barn, unfrozen water, and emaculate stalls. I do not blame this women for following her beliefs. I do however hold her accountable for making a complaint before she understood the needs <font color="orange"> of horses, <font color="black"> </font color> not what people think they need. Again, she simply failed to understand the nature of farming...however....I would rather have someone be investigated and cleared, then have someone ignore a situation. The whole process is a cathch 22.