Thread: Water Hydrant Problem

Hybrid View

Re: Water Hydrant Problem

Hi doc,

No, I did not install them, but two times I've dug them out to re-attached the plastic supply line when it's detached. There's no gravel at the bottom of the hole. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I bought a heat tape and some pipe insulation I'm going to try on the hydrant the horses can't get to, i.e., chew on.

Hi Mike,

This may not be an option for you. I have a frost free hydrant. When we put it in we could only get the end of the line down about 2 feet. (we hit rock ledge). It stays pretty good until temps stay below 15 or so for a few days.

Our supply line also comes from our house. I have a shut off and drain inside the basement so I can turn off supply and drain it back when needed. It takes an extra minute to go to the basement to turn on the water before going to the barn, but I haven't had to thaw pipes since I started doing it.

I haven't run any stock the past several winters so it gets very little use when its cold anyway. Just a thought. Good luck! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

The best thing you can do to avoid frozen pipes is move to Mexico! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Its been a tough winter here!
    Live to Fish, Fish to Live!

Hi Todd,
    <font color="blue"> I have a shut off and drain inside the basement so I can turn off supply and drain it back when needed. </font color>
    We have a shut off in our basement, too, but I hope it doesn't come to that. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I watched while the guy installed our hydrants. He didn't use gravel either, instead he used a section of 6" PVC and set the bottom of the hydrant on top of it. Then he wrapped several layers of thick plastic over it and buried it. I asked him why and he said it provides more sump room than gravel and seems to drain better. He claims to have never had one freeze up.

Ours is buried 5' and the portion that gets plowed has 5" of foam over the plastic line.

Steve