Thread: Bed Extender

Bed Extender

I'll be getting a new truck soon and was wondering how well the bed extenders I see available work. Initially, I was determined to get an 8' bed, but it seems that the majority of trucks with extended cabs come with the shortened bed. Since I'm leaning toward a new F-150, I've already given up on the manual trans. I also was hoping to get leather for easier (dog hair) cleaning, but you can not get a Lariat/SuperCab with an 8' bed.

Bed Extender
    "Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

Re: Bed Extender

I saw one at work, and talked to the feller that had it. He said it worked slicker than a smelt.

Shame ya can't get a real truck anymore, ain't it?

You can still get a real truck, you just have to understand the current marketing plan being used by the manufacturers...

Seems a few years ago someone realized that lots of 1/2 ton pickups were being purchased by what used to be the stationwagon/minivan group. So, the clever manufacturers started designing 1/2 ton trucks to accommodate this market - first by spiltting off the 1/2 tons from the rest of the line, then by specializing the body/equipment, hence the revolution of the crew cab short bed.

I agree - it's a silly bastardization of a real truck. But if you want to buy a "real" truck you need to step up to the product lines intended for "commercial" buyers.

I too wanted a crewcab with an 8' bed, and even in the Superduty most of the in stock vehicles, at least locally, were short bed equipped. I ended up making a sweet deal on a crewcab dually, so I went with it.

My advice - don't compromise your reasons for wanting an 8' bed before you really look at the Superduty. I know it may cost more, but you get what you pay for. The Superduty cab is much wider than the F150, and is also available in the Lariat trim with ANY body configuration.

Just my 2 cents, as they say

Gregg

I see you're also from Bucks County - Howdy Neighbor!
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Gregg,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check out the SuperDuty as well. I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 88-F150 for a couple of years now. There were 3 things that I really wanted. First, an 8 foot bed. Second, leather seats for easier cleaning. I also have grown accustomed to the heated seats in my car [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] . Third, I wanted a manual transmssion.

I've given up on the manual although it is available in the SD. The only thing about the SD that concerns me is the ride. I don't haul heavy loads every day, maybe a few times a month. As far as towing 95% will be either a 5000# boat/trailer or an equipment trailer with my Kubota (about the same as weight the boat). I do want the capabilty of towing 8-9K# since I forsee some heavier equipment rentals in the future.

I've been spending a lot of time at ford-truck.com, F150 online.com, dieselstop.com, and the Ford website. I have it narrowed down to 3 different paths.

First- F150 XLT, 8', High Payload Pkg.

Second- F150 Lariat 6.5' (the longest bed in the Lariat [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ). Of course, this model gives me the bells and whistles.

Third (but not least)- F250 Lariat, 8'. Bells and whistles AND an 8' bed, but have to see about the ride. The cost differential is around $1K more than the F150 Lariat, not a major factor for the decision (in for a penny...)

Just took a trip to Stowe, VT. in my friend's 2002 F150. After driving part of the way, my wife told me I should "get one of these". So I got THAT going for me. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    "Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

Just curious, have you looked at Dodge and GM/Chevy?

I was a Ford truck guyu, but got a Dodge this time around(new in '01). I still really like Fords, but I like this truck as much. Chevy makes some nice stuff too. If you are in the 1/2 ton market, that Titan is interesting. I am big on the big-3 and US stuff(although my '01 Ram Cummins was assembled in Mexico!), but that Titan is interesting...

I went with an auto after a knee injury. Even with that, I wish I had the manual...

Gomez,
    If you're going to be towing 5000lbs, do yourself a favor and look hard at the F250 SD. Forget the ride, it wasn't that bad anyway. I had one for 5 years towing a 5300lb camper with the V10. Never know it was back there. Even passing on the Interstate. Now I own an F150 ext. cab short bed 5.4 V-8. When I tow my TC18 minus loader, I hate it. 1400lbs plus trailer.
    Just my thoughts though [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Gomez, I've got some of what you want in my truck, a 97F250HD Crew Cab 4X4 5Spd SB. Not sure what you need the long bed for but I've never missed it with my short bed. Of course, it's longer than the super-short beds coming out these days but definitely not 8 feet. I've hauled plenty of 4X8 sheet goods and the tailgate down trick works just fine. I pull a fifth wheel camper and it's not a problem either. I'd like to upgrade to a dually for towing stability but would stick with a short bed if I can. That long-bed crew cab is one looong truck!

Good to hear from another stick afficionado [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob