Thread: extended warranty

extended warranty

I bought a new 2002 S/10 pickup that has 36 months of bumper to bumper coverage. I have one more year then it will be out of warranty, that is where my question is. Do I purchase another warranty for $1200 and get coverage to 54000 miles or just let it go. I really don't think I will have any trouble with this truck until maybe 100,000 miles. Have any of you bought this warranty and used it? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Re: extended warranty

When I purchased my last new vehicle in 1976, I purchased the extened warranty. Never used it. Bought a used Jag about 9 years ago with the extended warranty, was a couple of minor things wrong with it, warranty did not cover it.

Used to sell motorcycles, sold a lot of extended warranties, worked out real good for the dealership. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Put the $1200 away in a repair fund, you will be further ahead.

<font color="blue"> Put the $1200 away in a repair fund, you will be further ahead. </font color>

I agree completely. I've bought a few extended warranty programs, and every time there was either not a problem or if there was the warranty didn't cover it for some reason or another. I think they are ripoffs (IMHO).

Had an extended warranty once. Found it was so set up it covered almost nothing.

Put the $1200 in a new vehicle fund.

Egon

Thanks all, I kinda feel the same. If someone could tell me other [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] wise I might feel more confidient about spending the money. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

$1200 for 18,000 more miles of coverage?!

You're already covered to 36,000 miles, right?

Surely you're getting close to that number after 3 years.

Sounds steep to me.
    Fishman

I purchased my extended warenty through my insurance co. (Gieco) I have heard a lot of insurance companys sell extended warenty much cheaper than the dealer. Might be worthwhile to check it out, it was for me.

For some brands extended warranties can be bought from any dealer for a car bought from another dealer. This leads to competition and can result in much better pricing. Yet another alternative. Ordinarily extended warranties, when bought at fair not bloated dealer prices, are only slightly loaded in favor of the seller. If you can take the financil hit of some big failure without coverage, skip it. In the long run the odds are in your favor if you skip the extended warranty.

I do have an extended warranty (100,000 miles) on my 1997 Cummins/Dodge 1 ton dually with about 70.000 on the clock now. It has $50 deductable. It has been about a break even. I have had to have the cruise fixed 5 times and it is currently out and due to get fixed again.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"