Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which "Sawzall"??

Re: Which \"Sawzall\"?? (revisited)

A buddy of mine has a normal headed PC. Strong and trouble free through 3 renovations. (different houses) I love all of my PC tools.

I traded a home built Heathkit H-8 computer with homebuilt monochrome monitor for tools. I got a Milwaukee SAWZALL, a Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooter drill, and a worm drive Skillsaw.

Now over 25 years later, all three tools are running great. I replaced the twist on-off cord on the drill a couple years ago and realy wish my Sawzall had that style as I finally wore out the jacket on the cord next to the strain relief by the handle. I just doubled the cord over and wrapped it with electrical tape. In another 5-10 years when that fails I will put a new cord on it.

The swivel shoe/head/??? thingy that contacts the work is getting beat up a bit (I'm not easy on these tools.) but I will order one from Milwaukee and replace it. They told me they have parts. It also isn't the QUICK CHANGE model (Remember I said it is over 25 years old!) but the original allen key holder is still firmly attached to the power cord and it doesn't take all that long to swap blades.

Don't want to start a urination contest but I haven't seen a lot of other brands take so much abuse and perform so well. The drill is a wonder. It is a 3/8 inch high speed variable speed reversable with more torque than my B&D 1/2 inch geared down model. The Holeshooter is dangerous to the casual or light weight operator as it will produce enough torque to hurt you if you stick a large bit or hole saw. I get a "death grip" on it whe making large holes and still get fooled sometimes nearly getting wrapped up in it. I loan tools to certain friends but not this one as I don't want someone to get hurt.

Milwaukee makes a really good tool. Others do too I am sure but I haven't seen all that many 25 year old tools that are still going strong in other brands. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't seen them.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Milwaukee is definitely the brand that I'll buy when I'm ready for a SAWZALL.
    I had my grandfather's old Milwaukee electric drill and used it up until two years ago when I burnt out the motor. That thing was made of metal and every once in a while, you could see the arcs from the motor; sometimes you could feel them! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!