Thread: Chickens plus turkeys?

Chickens plus turkeys?

Have had both, but never together. The turkeys were too stupid to go into the coop when it got dark. They just sat down for the night. We have to have them inside due to prevalence of predators.
    This was a real nuisance, compared to the chickens, that did it on their own. (The yard for them is totally screened in, even over the top. It's only about 4' high though so it is difficult to run around in there and shoo them in.)
    It's enough of a hassle that we wouldn't get turkeys again - unless - if the chickens going in on their own will draw the turkeys in too, that would be managable.
    I would like turkeys again since you get so much more meat for the pluckin'. The chickens would just be for eggs.
    Part 2: any problem with them getting along? I can imagine chickens assassinating turkeys pretty handily, the turkeys would probably just sit there.....
    Thanks,
    Jim

Re: Chickens plus turkeys?

My Dad had a small bunch of turkeys every year for a long time. He wouldn't even think of taking day olds home unless he had chickens with them to teach the turkeys to eat drink and do whatever else it takes to stay alive which includes just getting in out of the rain.

My vet recommended against running turkeys and chickens together, as they share common diseases.

I guess I don't really get that. I know what you mean by common diseases but if you had all chickens instead, you'd be in the same situation. I guess if they had different diseases you'd only lose one or the other, but...?
    Jim
    (Am I missing the obvious?)

Hmmm. I see your point. I'm thinking that what he meant (or what I should have said) was that turkeys and chickens are close enough kin that they can pass diseases between each other. What may be mildly annoying to a turkey could kill a chicken, or vice versa.

Frankly, I don't really know. He said don't do it, so I didn't.

For the past 3 years our neighbors have successfully raised turkeys and chickens together from day old chicks without any problems. This year we added four day-old turkeys in with the thirty 2 day-old chickens and after 3 weeks we haven't noticed any problems. Both seem to be getting along fine. If I run into any problems, I'll let folks know.

For Mothers Day my girls got me 2 baby turkeys,I never knew they were stupid! Should I keep them penned up until they get pretty big,so the chickens won't kill them?The chickens are free range.
    Man cannot live on bread alone.He needs peanutbutter,too.

I once heard that domestic turkeys were so stupid they would look up to see where rain came from and drown.

They have been bred for a long time to achieve other attirbutes than intelligence so it is no suprise they are stupid. Look what unscrupulousand or ignorant dod breeders have done to popular dogs.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"