Thread: d.i.y. castration

d.i.y. castration

I had a call from a man who bought four show pigs from us last year. He'd decided that he wanted to raise a pig for the freezer, and now that the piglets are weaned I knew I had plenty for him to choose from, so I told him to come on and have a look.

This is the same man who pre-chose the afore-mentioned show pigs when they were only three days old, and who we had to call mere days before he was due to pick them up and tell him that three out of the four pigs he had chosen, were cryptorchid.

Cryptorchid means that only one testicle had descended. Not only does that mean that the little boars could not be show pigs, because they were still producing testosterone, but it meant that they were partially viable, or intact, and that they could produce offspring, and it has been a rule since day one that no boar leaves this farm carrying productive DNA. He ended up having to pick three more pigs. Having a farming background, he understood immediately. The cyyptorchid boars were slaughtered before they reached mating age, and never saw the show ring.

I explained to him before he came out this time, that the little boars had not been castrated yet. We don't do ours at a day or two old like most folks do. We generally do them all in one fell swoop at anywhere from three to six weeks depending on how many sows we have farrowing, but I explained that I had plenty of gilts to choose from, or that if he chose a boar, we could cut it, and he could pick it up later.

Somehow the wires got crossed, and he showed up wanting not only a male, but not wanting to come back later either, as it was a pretty good drive for him, so we had what is referred to as a 'situation'. It only takes a few minutes to castrate, but Fred does the cutting, and Fred wasn't home.

"I sure would like to have that white boar right there." The man said, not wanting to look at gilts at all.

"My husband would skin me if I let that boar leave the property without being cut." I replied. "He can't leave here with bumpers," I said, trying to cut the tension, "only mud flaps." That produced a chuckle, but no solution.

We kind of stood there in the morning sunlight staring at each other, him jingling his keys in his pocket, and me determined not to break my long-standing rule about not doing castrations. There are just certain things that I will not do, and that is at the top of my list.

"Well, I have the stuff if you want to do the cutting." I said. "I'll hold him for you. As long as he leaves here and leaves those two items behind, you get what you want and I get to stay married." I grinned.

He looked at me like I'd suddenly suggested that he don a grass skirt and do a hula on the front lawn.

"Oh now, I don't know about that." He said, shaking his head slowly. "I've done it before, but it's been thirty years or more since then."

"Well, I'm pretty sure not much has changed in that area." I assured him. I really wanted to make the sale, I needed the fifty bucks and I knew he wanted to take the pig home, and it seemed like the perfect solution to me. "Come on," I said, "I can help you."

The next thing I knew we were laying out razor, betadine and penicillin shot on the tailgate of his truck.

I have seen men shake before, but as I stood there holding that little pig, I was instantly concerned with where my fingers were in relation to the single-edged razor blade that he weilded. I felt a little sorry for him, he was sweating bullets, and had gone white as a sheet. I felt the need to reassure him once again.

"Like, I said," I reminded him, "piglets haven't changed much in thirty years. You'll find 'em just where they were the last time."

He met my eyes and grinned at me, and a visible calm settled over him, and he went to work. As a matter of fact, he was so steady and so sure, that the piglet didn't know what hit him until the procedure was very near to over.

During the process, the man's three year old son wandered up and got an eyeful.

"Why you gonna cut the pig? Why you have to cut it, Daddy?"

The impromptu surgeon was blinking sweat out of his eyes and beyond being able to answer such a question, so I said...

"Well he's sick, and we're trying to make him better."

"Uh huh." Grunted the man."Yeah... that's it." He said to his son, and then to me. "Good one." With a wink.

By then, the deed was done with little more than one startled squawk from the piglet. Now it was the eight year old son who needed informaton.

"How does cutting that part out make him better?" One eyebrow cocked, a suspicious glint in his eyes. This question was posed by a kid who clearly understood that there was more to the whole deal than met the eye.

"That one's all yours." I said to the man, and laughed.

"I'll explain it to you later, son." The man said.

I produced a bar of soap and we both washed our hands at the water hose.

"You did a great job." I said. "Very clean, very neat."

"Well," he said, shaking the excess water from his hands, "I guess you're right. Must be like riding a bike. Once you learn how, you never forget."

He left with his pig, and his two sons and a lot of explaining to do to that eight year old, but with the gentle way he handled that piglet I felt more than certain that he would find a tactful, educational, yet sensitive way to handle the barrage of questions that was sure to come his way on that long drive home. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: d.i.y. castration

Prairie oyster time. Don't that squeel get to you.

Egon

It literally makes me grit my teeth until they hurt, and after doing thirty or so at a whack, my jaw stays sore for days. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Egon, I read in reader's Digest, decades ago, a story about a female reporter who was invited to sample some mountain oysters. She had no clue what she was really eating but when she remarked on their remarkable nut like flavor it really brought the house down.

Topic 2: Has anyone else ever commented on the change in the aspect ratio of your thumbnial picture. I don't recall when I first noticed but it is significantly stretched vertically making you look even taller and leaner than you are. At least on my screen.

Cindi, should I believe the stories I hear about folks docking sheep by holding the candidate for removal part in their teeth to get a good shot at what to cut?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

I'm definetly short and not lean. changed the picture.

Egon

I have no idea, but remind me not to get into raising sheep. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

And here is a taller short picture.

Egon

<font color="blue">"and after doing thirty or so at a whack," </font color>

OUCH!
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

sheep are easy, no cutting, use an elastic made for the purpose. it looks exactly like a cheerio. special pliers stretch it to put over. they can be used on &lt;month old calves too.

It is still common to see lambs cut here in oz. When you cut a lamb you snip the bag with shears grab the you know whats between the teeth and pull them. They are not cut but torn out. At the same time this is done you dock the tail by simply cutting it off with the shears
    However i have only used rings, a little more elegent. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    made in Korea Vin