Thread: removing brake drums on GM cars

removing brake drums on GM cars

I have a 2001 Saturn SL2 and also a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire. I am unable to remove the brake drums from either vehicle. My Chevy pickups that I have experience with have the access slot to shorten the adjuster screw. I pry on the drums on these little cars and they won't budge. Any help will be greatly appreciated so I don't have to visit a shop to have this work done.

thanks in advance,

Tony

Re: removing brake drums on GM cars

Tony, can you post a picture? Can you turn the drum (and axle) easily? If you can turn it easily by hand, then it isn't the aduster that needs loosening. I'm not familiar with the brakes on those particular vehicles; maybe someone else is. But while a lot of brake drums simply slide off when you remove the wheel, there are some that have screws or bolts that hold the drum onto the end of the axle. That would be my first guess as to your problem.

Had a similar problem with my 1991 Cavalier and my Wife's 1990. On mine, I beat and pulled at those drums for half a day before I got them to break loose. On my wife's, I took the advice of someone at the autoparts and put the torch on the drum first. You hold the torch on the drum until you hear it go "ping". Then you can work it off (wearing gloves).

Neither of our cars had adjuster holes in the drums. The parts guys said that is normal and you do not have to back the shoes off. But, the drums tend to rust onto the end of the axle shaft, and that is why they stick.

Neither of our cars had ABS, so if yours do, you might want to check with someone before putting the heat to the drum.

Steve

As I can remember the drum fits over a tapered center where the studs and axle fit. If you use some penetrateing oil and a soft nosed hammer and a little prying with a screw driver against the backing plate you should be able to break it loose. I don't think it woul be a good idea to use heat unless it is a last resort. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] <font color="red"> </font color>

Hey Country!! you get those brakes of yet?? Also sometimes if the shoes have worn the drums somewhat there will be a lip that will not let the brakes slide off,so you will have to rewind the adjusters to get your clearance [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] that is if your drums are freed from the axle face where as mentioned before use heat on the drum center (around bolt hloes &amp; hub)and gently tapping til it comes free [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It's not that much fun [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] but it can save you plenty O money [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] good luck if you haven't done it already. If so maybe it will help someone else...