Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home baked Bread

Home baked Bread

It's raining , the dog is sleeping and it's winter...

What better of a day to make some bread.. right ?

I have made bread two other times that wasn't failures, but texture wasn't what I was trying to achieve.

I am using bread flour and allowing it to rise like I should, ect...

HOWEVER... the bread has a consistency / texture of an english muffin. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Great for breakfast, 2 slices and your set until lunch.. LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

When I was a boy, my grand father baked bread and his was the best !!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    It had the hard crust and the inside was a soft chewy bread, kind of a mixture of regular bread and a soft sour dough bread. where I have only been able to produce more of a cake type bread, sigh [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I've heard of letting bread rise over night before baking..

any idea's..?

Re: Home baked Bread

Find a good recipe and knead the heck out of the dough. The kneading develops the gluten and gives you that nice chewy texture. As to the hard crust, I can't say I've done much good with that. My favorite recipe is an oatmeal bread, and it has a fairly soft crust. Makes great sandwiches, though.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck... your crispy crust is done by coating the bread with butter while baking.. also gives it the golden brown effect too

I've seen recipes for "french bread" that called for spraying the loafs with water during the baking to produce a hard crust. Never tried it, though. I did make a jalapeno cheese loaf that came out with a nice crust that called for an egg wash during the last part of the baking. Beautiful loaf, but it didn't taste all that good.

Chuck

I keep a small spray bottle of water on top fo the range for just such occaisions. Just before I put the dough in the oven, I spray the dough. But then I open the oven and spray the oven heavily. What you want is a lot of steam in the oven. This will harden up the crust for you. I do this two more times, about 5 minues after putting the dough in and then 5 minutes later. The production bakeries have steam injection ovens to do this automatically.

Very interesting indeed.

What do you recommend to make the dough lighter .. fluffier ?

I would try a couple of things.... one at a time.

First, I'd reduce the flour by a few tablespoons. You might have to use a touch less liquid too.

Second, I would over-proof the dough.... let it rise longer than the recipe called for.

Also, I highly recommend the King Arthur (flour) Baking Circle. Link It is a good place to get this kind of assistance.

I use a bread machine and it always comes out really good.

Good ones can be had for under $50.

Takes the savings (if any) out of the picture, but yum.
    Fishman

My CFO uses a bread machine, also, and has very few failures. She goes to a lot of meetings where people contribute a dish, and they always ask her, "Bring your bread!" The biggest problem is when there is a power failure during the process. The bread machine forgets where it was during the cycle and it's nearly impossible to recover. I've though about hooking up a UPS battery backup from the computer, but it would only be effective during the "waiting" and "kneading" cycles -- I think when the machine is baking, it used too many watts for the UPS to work, unless I use a ridiculously big (and expensive) UPS. Fortunately, our power company, Florida Power & Light, has improved since the days when it was know as "Florida Flicker and Flash."
    ...Don

I used to have a recipe for sourdough bread that I got from Alaska magazine (formerly The Alaskan Sportsman if I remember right) and I really liked it. But now we're on our second bread machine and never seem to get the texture we want with any of the recipes we've tried. We want a light, fluffy texture, so if anyone has a good recipe for the bread machine, I'd appreciate it.