Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DW708R dual compound sliding miter saw, refurb

Re: DW708R dual compound sliding miter saw, refurb

Sure wish you fellows would send one of them supply trucks up this way so I could follow it and pick up the boxes falling off the back.

Egon

The saw was a victim of Lowe's "easy return" policy where one can basicly take anything in any shape back for a refund even if they didn't buy it there. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

It was returned (I presume when the job was finished) and the tool dept couldn't find anything wrong with it. I couldn't either so I bought it for half of full price. I need to readjust the slider rack a little as it nearly fell off a stand and it's just a twitch out of square from perfect. (my fault)

Scott, Thanks for doing your patriotic duty in helping to keep the wheels of consumerism driven economics flowing smoothly along. I appreciate your assistance as I can't do it all alone, even though I often try.

I have a Ryobi abrasive cut off saw (I sent it to charm school but it still has a few bad personality quirks) It took a header off a drum (temp work stand) when some clumsy oaf tripped over the cord (I promise to try to avoid a recurrence.) It cracked and bent the metal part of the case. I have since been given another Ryobi with a bad armature by a repair outfit whose customer abandoned the unit when they found out what it costs to repair (DeWalt is more expensive to repair.) One day I will put the two together to make a running unit. IN the mean time I will strugel to get by on the remaining Ryobi and the new DeWalt I bought from Lowe's as a customer return for $20. It is the geared down more HD and expensive unit that is essentially a throw away if it dies and it isn't something simple like the brushes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks for the kind words Pat. I do what I can. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyone reading this should check out the clearances at Lowe's. I saw a small delta planer on clearance while at work today. I didn't get any details as our dept. was under siege.

Scott, I was at the nearest Lowe's yesterday (about 30 miles) and the only tool on "clearance" was some hand held vibratory sander and it wasn't a particularly good deal. I would have bought an electric hand held plane but they were out of stock of the one I wanted and only had the toooooo expensive and the too cheap and flimsy in stock. I did get a 3x18 belt sander. The only belt sander I ever had previously (and still have it) is a B&D itsy bitsy one (14 or maybe 16 inch) with the super convenient dust bag that never needs to be emptied because it doesn't collect dust. OK for small jobs but short planes are too easy to make wavy surfaces with.

I don't think that the Lowe's stores frequently synchronize their clearances but thanks for the thought.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

I have a DeWalt DW678 - 7.8 amp. reconditioned hand planer that I am very happy with. It has a few hours of log work on it.

Perhaps another site. http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/dewrecspec.html

Egon