Thread: Estimating new roof costs...what did yours cost?

Estimating new roof costs...what did yours cost?

Anyone had a new roof put on lately? My roof is getting close to needing to be replaced. Its pretty big (about 30 sqaures) and not super complicated, and not very steep, but there are some changes in roof direction etc...

Two layers of asphalt already down so it would need to be stripped down completely, new ice dams, some flashing etc...

I will probably go with a top quality asphalt shingle...

So what kind of roof have you guys had done lately? and how much did it cost?

Any other recommendations on things to do/not do when getting bids/picking materials etc?

Re: Estimating new roof costs...what did yours cost?

My Dad's having one put on. He's in Mass. He was quoted $8600 for stripping the old roof, new OSB decking, laminated shingles with two rows of ice shield. I don't know how many squares his roof is. He has a 1500 sq. ft ranch style house, so it's not too big.

He had a lot of trouble getting quotes from contractors and was amazed at the lack of returned phone calls. His quotes ranged from $8200 to $12,000. So it pays to shop around.

Spell out what you want and then go get bids, that way you're comparing apples to apples.

Here's a recap of what the roofers recommended: Using laminated shingles is best for appearance and seems to be the standard these days, however, you can't usually roof over them in the future (Need to be stripped off).

Use two courses of ice shield if the pitch isn't very steep. This will give you about 4 feet of shield from the roof edge, usually enough to prevent leaks from ice dams at the eves.

OSB decking seems to be the norm. Personally, I prefer plywood, but OSB is certainly cheaper and acceptable.

Plan on a little extra if they need to repair any soffits or fascia's. Re-roofing's the time to do it.

Re-roofing is a great opportunity to fix any attic ventilation problems. They can install a ridge vent if you think you need more ventilation. You usually combine these with a soffit vent that you can do yourself later using a template and a router.

Good luck. The prices in Mass are a heck of a lot more then here in Texas. I had my roof stripped, decked and re-shingled with laminated shingles about 5 years ago. Cost: $5400 for about 30 squares.

I did my roof about 3yrs ago. 20 squares simple gable with two dormers. Had two layers of asphalt, stripped that and went back with laminate shingles. Quotes ranged from 2,600 to 3,400. I did it myself and added metal valleys and a ridge vent for about 1,100.00. 4-12 roof slope.

Gary

I'm bidding my roof right now. It is ~31 squares and has 7 surfaces, 3 chimneys, 2 vents, 3 valleys and 4 walls to be flashed into. I'm looking at a complete tear-off, installation of decking on 4 surfaces and some fascia/soffit repair.

I'm planning on a metal roof and the first pass quotes range from about ~$11,500 (ag panels) to $15,500 (standing seam style). The job has been in the talking phase for 2 years now, mainly waiting on a mason to rebuild the chimneys. If all goes well, I'll have a new roof by September.

I would add a layer of light duty tar paper. Apparently, the resins from plywood or OSB can react with shingles an shorten their lives. The warranty on most shingles only applied if they are installed as per the vendor's instructions. Most roofers don't bother with the tar paper, and most shingles require it, so most roofs are installed without a valid warranty.

Of course, where I'm originally from (Quebec) most roofers aren't bonded (as required by law) and most companies reincorporate every year, so you'll never get a penny back for poor quality work, or even outright fraud as I discovered when I paid for a new flat roof and found out the next year that all I got was some patch compound and new rocks. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Tar paper is cheap and easy to install. At least verify whether or not the instructions call for it.