Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Babies

Re: Spring Babies

Bird, I have had one cat, well actually two for about a week or two then just one which I gave away when the owner of its litter mate was upset when her's was killed. Total lifetime time as a cat owner was about 2 weeks.

I have had a few dogs. My first since I was old enough to actually remember it was a pedigreed cocker that would really hit a good point. They were originaly English bird dogs before the USA types ruined the breed. I had a couple Afghan hounds for a few months, mother and son. Gave away mother then later her retarded son. As a breed they are beautiful but the epitome of dumb blonds. How dumb are they? The breeders manually help them mate.

My last dog was a fawn colored great dane. A real fun dog. Loved to back pack. Carried his own sweaters and wind breaker, food, dish, and canteen as well as a rollup plastic tabogan when we camped out in the snow. What a moose!

Along the way I had a cocatiel that committed suicide, found it dead with its head wedged in the bars at the bottom of the cage. I had a double yellow headed amazon parrot that I got when it was shot out of a tree with a pellet gun (not by me, I just treated it and took care of it). I did what I could but it never was a strong flier after that. We kept it for years and then gave it to a lady with another parrot that was in love with ours. She parrot sat for us when we took extended sialing trips and the two fell in love and refused to be separated. they woild go beserk if yo tried to get them apart and they weren't even the same species, go figure. Anyway when we moved onto our sailboat we gave it to her.

I kept a horned owl for several months and raised rats to feed it live food. relesed it in mountains when it was ready (had been in captivity and a wing had been trimmed, again not by me.

I have had tropical fish too but now the closest things I have to pets are the wild birds we feed, deer, turkey and squirrels we feed. I like it this way for a while. May get a dog after the house is finished but maybe not, we'll see.

Oh, and I have lots of fish and turtles and frogs and stuff in my ponds!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What a beautiful baby! Congratulations. I have a pigmy and I think she might be pregnant. Is there a sure way to tell before we wake up to little surprises?

[/ QUOTE ]

The vet can do an ultra sound, but that costs. Otherwise, all you can do is watch her to see if she is putting on weight or making a bag. If she's starting to bag up that's a pretty sure sign. You also might be able to see the younguns kicking. Don't know too much about the little ones, we've only got the full sized gals, but if it works the same, expect the worst possible weather for delivery.

Steve

Daughter April the Mighty Goat Rancher [MGR]has her first 2 Alpine doelings out of her herd queen. Very nice little critters, they'll be in the house in a converted baby pen until they get too rambunctious.We take them from the mom, bottle feed, keep them in the house until they're too rambunctious.

The first one came about 7, was very large, pretty light grey color, and the girls had her hopping around outside in a couple hours. About 11 I heard wife calling over the intercom for help, went out, and there she was with another one. She thought because it was so late, and a breech, it would be dead, but it came out very lively, a little smaller, and hungry. Had some trouble bleeding from the cord, and that took some time to figure out. The club goat advisor came over and they wrapped the cord with dental floss, and the doe is thriving, smells like mint dental floss! In our search for something to clamp the cord, considered vice grips[too heavy], hair berets, I was even wondering about the castrator bands as I frantically rummaged through the goat care kits. Made a mental note to urge the MGR to get the medical supplies organized more carefully.

Hope to have pictures to post soon-daughters had fun taking the first little one out and making daisy chains necklaces for her, she did the Bambi thing. Long legged little critter, back legs take a while to limber up after being cramped up inside mommy. All this before we even knew she had a sister. We were kind of fooled because she was an 11 pounder, looonnngg drink of water. Sister is smaller, still an active, healthy 8 pounder.

There was another undeveloped fetus, very small, the mother ate it with the afterbirth. Wife wanted to keep it for informational purposes, but the goat got it first. Strange universe...

Daughter April was doing yard work for a friend when the second one came along, so she had a very pleasant surprise.

Mom and daughters had to go to a big Awana Bible club sports thingy today, and the babies had to go along. Guess that will be a little different for the big shindig!

John

Re: Spring Babies with pictures

Here's a skater babe. Her name is Tiger Lily[Tigger]. Don't know how The Mighty Goat Rancher will register her.