Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Horse Rustlers!

Re: Horse Rustlers!

Ya know, I have been round and round this issue in my mind and I keep on coming back to the same conclusion. I am fed up to here (holding finger parallel with eyebrows [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) with folks shirking their responsibilities and then attributing it to everything else but their bad.

I guess that's what sways my opinion in this matter. Having three teenagers in the house I have heard every excuse in the book, and very very few of them pass muster. Mund used some unfortunate phrasing while relating the details of this experience, however, the facts as I understand them, are not changed by that.

This woman did not pay her rent, avoided contact, did not spend time with the animal, did not see to his needs in any capacity, and at the last second showed up with rent money only. None of the other expenses were covered.

Frankly I can't see where I should be concerned that she's being taken advantage of. In fact, if more people who behaved in such a manner were thusly 'taken advantage of' maybe they wouldn't put themselves in the position where they COULD be taken advantage of, by simply meeting the terms of their debts and obligations. Which in the long run would make everybody's life a whole lot simpler. If a person meets their obligations, they don't find themselves dickering at the last minute or being beholden to anyone for any reason.

This animal was not repossessed, it was purchased. Either way you look at it, the horse is bound to be better off. Had it been up to Joan to keep the animal in a 'valuable' state it would not have been worth even the 1200.00 that was paid for it.

Sounds to me like she dumped this horse three months ago, had a change of heart at the last minute, but was easily persuaded to dump it permanently. Joan put herself in this position, and fortunately in the long run, found someone who will provide the care that the animal needs. Call it tough love or whatever you choose, but once burned, is a lesson learned. Maybe next time she'll return those calls or see to it that her boarding fees are paid on time. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I don't think Joan was mentally incompetent Stoneheartfarm (a name that I find ironic since you appear to be anything but stonehearted [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) I think she was fully aware of what she was doing, is probably quite accustomed to using and taking advantage of people and was probably completely mystified when Mund and his wife didn't just hand the horse back to her at her whim. She will probably spend long hours wondering how that one jumped up and bit her in the butt. Maybe in the process she will realize that she's the one that dropped the ball.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Well, as usual, I totally agree with Cindi, and she stated her case better than I ever could!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Jennifer and Bob are clearly animal lovers, Doc is better off, everyone is happy, case closed!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Rich... you tickle me to death. You cannot abide it when people you care about can't agree. You're going to worry yourself to a frazzle one day. Lol! Debate is the spice of life!

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I don't deny you know me well, Cindi!!! But you and I VERY rarely disagree, and that makes me VERY happy!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Amen.

Hi
    You said

"We have 26 horses sharing an acre"

how do you do that? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Charlie.

Charlie,

The horses are turned out in four separate paddocks. There is plenty of room in the paddocks for them to romp around, just not get any real exercise. As I mentioned in the other post, the horses' owners have to make a huge effort to make sure that they are exercised. Most do a good job of it, but some don't. Before we took over management of the barn, my wife boarded her horse at it, and I was a "horse widower" in the same way that many women call themselves "Sunday football widows."

One thing that a lot of people do if they know they can't get out every day is either sign on a share-boarder who pays a half or quarter of the monthly board, which buys them the right to a quarter or half of the riding time, or the owner lets one of the three or four people who are part of our barn's community, but do not have their own horse or share-board ride their horse for free, either on specified days or just when they know they can't make it out. Another thing some people do is turn the horse out by itself in the riding ring (about 200' x 75') and let it haul a** for ten or fifteen minutes, or however long the horse needs it, to blow off steam about once a week.

I just realized that I should probably mention, just in case you think they are standing out there all of the time, that the horses are stabled at night. Each horse has its own box stall inside the barn.

Yes, the story is that Joan is not a nice person, and should never own any animals. The problem here is that there are a lot of emotions involved when animals aren't cared for. The only thing that still puts me in the stable manager's court is the fact that Joan was notified of the animal's value before the sale. Unfortunately, should this go it court, her story would probably go more like this:

A few years ago, Joan’s daughter, a precocious child with ever changing interests, talked Joan into purchasing a horse. At first the girl had enjoyed the animal, but as she grew older, lost interest-- as children do. Joan herself was never very interested in horses, but wanted to keep it, hoping the child might someday have a change of heart. Due to financial problems (horses are expensive), Joan was sometimes unable to pay her bills on time. House payments, car payments, phone bills all sometimes slid, but mostly the boarding bills went without payment. She was forced to move the animal from stable to stable, skirting just ahead of the eviction notices.

One day, Joan got a letter from the stable explaining that a great deal of money was owed and that Joan must come and pick up her horse. Joan called a friend, explaining that she had to remove the animal from the stable and there was no place to take it to. Seeing the position Joan was in, the friend offered to take the horse. Relieved that she wouldn’t have Mister Ed living in her bedroom, Joan agreed and went to the stable to settle the bill.

The stable manager was firm about the horse leaving, and about the amount of money owed. Joan dug into her pocketbook and began to count out twelve one hundred dollar bills. The phone bill would be a little late this month. Then, a small glimmer of hope.

“I’ll really miss him” the stable manager said, “If you wanted to sell him, I’d be willing to wipe out your debt.”

“Really?” Joan asked.

“Sure, I admit I’ve fallen in love with him.”

Joan thought about it for a moment. If she said no, she would have to move the animal and then find a buyer for it. Where Joan lived, most people didn’t have room for horses and she didn’t think she could sell him in just a few hours.

“Gee, I don’t know what he’s worth.” Joan stuttered, suddenly choked up. “I think I paid about seven thousand.”

“My husband and I have talked about it,” the stable manager admitted, “We think he might be worth as much as four thousand right now. Oh, and the farrier thought so too.”

“Well,” Joan said, debating the financial loss against the probability of a horse in the bathroom, or worse, imposing her animal on a friend “I guess it would be alright if you agreed to take good care of him.”

An hour later, Joan arrived at her friend’s house and explained what she had done. “Boy, did you get took!” The friend screamed. “That was a very valuable animal! He was worth four times what you got paid.”

“I know, “Joan sobbed. “But I didn’t have any place to take him. I knew I couldn’t keep him here for very long, and I didn’t know how long it would take to sell him.”

Joan’s friend agreed to buy the animal for twice what the Stable manager had paid and they quickly grabbed a trailer and headed for the stable, hoping to rectify Joan’s predicament.

That's a good story!!!! Hope Joan dosn't ever read this!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    -Kri

When my Dad was a teenager, he told a guy he would sell him a car for $100. It was pretty nice, and worth more. The guy showed up with the money, and said he would buy the car. My Dad said he didn't really want to sell it, especially for $100(was back in the '50s).

Well, my Grandad happened to be listening in. He came out and asked my Dad if he had in fact told this guy he would give the car to him for $100; Dad said yes.

Grandpa said done deal, take the $100 and give the guy the keys. A deal is a deal, and that's it. My Dad never made that mistake ever again!