Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dream trip to Maine

Re: dream trip to Maine

Sigh. Maybe next summer.

If you have never been to the Keys Cindi the Bahia Honda state park is beutiful. Voted one of the 10 best beaches in the world. Dave

Cindy, dont give up...Maine is my favorite state in the Union...try looking for B&Bs on-line...you'll be suprised at some of the prices...

<font color="blue">"but I was shooting for traveling up the east coast. More or less." </font color>

How about visiting the largest Amish settlement area of the country?....
    Just off of I-77 in eastern Ohio....Sugarcreek, Millersburg, Strasburg, Berlin, etc.
    That is one of the most picture perfect areas of the country.
    A lot of B&amp;B's in that area.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Well, I think it's time for a Fort Kent boy to make an appearance in this thread. If you're looking to visit a tourist trap and spend outlandish amounts of money, then Fort Kent isn't the place to be. If you want to meet the most personable people in the US, then come on up. There's usually some kind of event that might grab your fancy. I'll try to remember to stop by the chamber and get a schedule of summer events for you. You missed two great events this winter, the Can-Am 250 mile sled dog race and the World cup Biathlon. We may be in the sticks, but we do put on a good show. If you do come up, how long are you planning to stay, and are you looking for a motel or maybe renting a camp at one of the lakes? If you need any info, let me know.
    Mike

ps., I attached a picture of my favorite view in downtown Fort Kent.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Hmmm, let me try that again
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Oh...that's GORGEOUS! I swear, for no bigger than Fort Kent is, there sure are a lot of folks on the net from there! I have spoken to at least four now! Since I've done the research on renting a car and gas and so on I discovered that the trip would cost me at least four thousand dollars. It might be next summer. (grin)

Cindi, for that much money, you might as well fly up here and have more time and $$ to enjoy Maine. ....... and lower our taxes [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cindi

I haven't been on CBN much for awhile so missed your thread until now. I'm a LOT closer to Maine than you and a few years back we drove from here to Bar Harbor and back. With only minor side trips it was almost exactly 2000 miles round trip - and that was in one 8 day trip. We were treating the trip as a 'scouting mission' to find good spots to return to, having never been to New England before. But - that is a lot of driving. Suffice to say that the next year we flew to Bangor, rented from either Alamo or Thrifty there (forget which) and drove down to Bar Harbor (30 min.) to stay for a week.

We tend to travel in early September (our favorite time of the year) and stayed in a wonderful small and quite deluxe hotel right on Frenchman's Bay for about $160/night. It is a great area. I would suggest checking CheapTickets for a good airfare rate - and then a local car rental up there. While you sure won't get to see the country as well along the way - you could knock maybe 5 or 6 days off of your total and still have just as much time in Maine. Saving the extra hotel/meals from the travel days might just cover most of the airfare.

Tim

You do have a point there. In fact Fred was saying pretty much the same thing. You're probably both right.