Thread: How reliable/fuel efficient is a Ford 6 cyl. 300ci

How reliable/fuel efficient is a Ford 6 cyl. 300ci

A local contractor has a Ford p/u for sale. He talks it up as a fuel efficient[20 mpg] rebuilt 6 cyl. 300, truck has beefed up suspension, 4 speed, 2wd limited slip. Price is good if I can confirm the engine condition, drive train and suspension condition.

I drove a Ford 1/2 ton van 6 cyl., early 90s model, got good mileage with auto/overdrive. A fellow worker says this engine had a good rep. for durability. Another friend had problems with a heavy '78 rig powered by the straight 6.

This has a single barrel carb. It should be a good heavy hauler with reasonable gas economy. If the engine is in good shape, and I can swing the deal, I plan on tuning up using George Wiseman's Carburetor Manual from www.eagle-research.com. George has some interesting ideas on gas economy, getting the carb set up right, using Color Tunes.

I can use any insights on the straight 6 Ford engines. Are they as tough as my pal claims?

John

Re: How reliable/fuel efficient is a Ford 6 cyl. 300ci

More info would be helpful. Depending on the year many things change. Also, what model is it - 150,250, etc?
    In general the 300 is a pretty solid engine, durable and trouble free. With a carb it'll never be as efficient as it could be, carbs just don't work as well as modern fuel injection. However, when in a good state of tune and operating correctly they can provide reasonable economy.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: How reliable/fuel efficient is a Ford 6 cyl. 3

John, that 300 CID motor is one of the most reliable that Ford has ever built. I owned two pickups with that motor and never had any trouble. The 35 KVA generator at our farm uses the Ford 300 running on propane. It has been there since '84 and still runs flawlessly. I'd pay close attention to the rest of the truck and not even worry about that motor. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Re: How reliable/fuel efficient is a Ford 6 cyl. 3

Thanks, Autotech and Rozette for the responses. I will be talking to the owner today, but it looks as if taxes will prevent this deal. Appreciate any input on a Ford utility p/u, motor/drivetrain, F-series, any factors for good gas mileage, hauling ability. Wife would prefer auto trans, so would I, if mileage isn't too compromised.

Other makes are useable, if durability and economy are there.
    When you look for used, ya gotta take what's out there.

John

Re: There may be still hope for this truck

Truck is still available. Late 78, F250, 1 ton rear springs with overloads,1200 mi. on rebuilt motor, single barrel carb, 'low end cam', good tires, body looks rough, 4sp. manual. Owner is a concrete contractor, used rig to haul gravel, rock, carried heavy loads.

I would haul firewood, trash, light hauling, probably not anything as heavy as this guy loaded it-he claims hauling 3 tons of rock, didn't even grunt, still had springs left.

What should I check after kicking the tires? I always remember the stuff I should have checked after buying, had a couple bad experiences. This guy is a local contractor, friend of a friendly neighbor, giving a good price, so I don't think he'd steer me wrong.

John

Front suspension parts. Clutch throwout bearing. Don't expect to pass all the gas stations.

Egon

with the size of loads previosly hauled I would crawl underneath and check out the framerails and crossmembers for cracks or distortion

Check the wheel bearings. Putting heavy springs and carrying heavy loads puts a strain on axles that they are not designed to carry.

RonL

I don't think it will get 20mpg all the time, but as for the motor and truck they are rock solid. I have a 78 F250 that had a 300 six. It is a great truck. I averaged 13-15. I could get 18 on highway driving. If he used it as hard as he said, I would give it a thorough inspection.

I used an 80's model F150 with the carburated 300 motor and 5 speed a few times to pull an 18' aluminum boat. It was in our university fleet and that was what I was stuck with. It was completely gutless. To be fair, so were the carburated Chevy v-6's we had. The 2.8liter fuel injected v-6 equipped Ranger with a 5 speed pulled the boat the best of all.

Now of course, fuel injected v-8's do all my towing and that's a good thing.

Back to the Ford. Without a load it drove really nice and was a civilized ride. I doubt you'll be getting 20 mpg with it in a one-ton truck though. Probably has 4.11 gears or something similar which won't make for good mileage.
    Fishman