Thread: setting a tapered pole

setting a tapered pole

This doesn't really have to do with building a pole barn, but after reading through several of the posts under this topic I thought someone could help me out.

I'm going to be adding a sliding door to my pole barn/out building and I was going to use a pole that came with the property and used to be a midway point for an electric line as the end post to hold the door track. It's heavy duty like a miniature telephone pole and like my subject line said, tapered. I know the big end goes in the ground, but other than eyeballing it, how do I set it so it is plumb? Without knowing if the ground is exactly level around the pole, I don't think measuring the diagonal in four places out from the bottom of the pole would get me any closer to plumb than eyeballing it. Another way I thought about is to measure the big and small end and figure out the taper in so many feet (the length of the level) and then hold my level that far off the pole on the smaller diameter end and move the pole until it reads level. This would require a few more hands or maybe a couple of levels duct taped to the pole and shimmed out on the one end the appropriate distance.

Is there a mechanical way to do this or is eyeing it up close enough?

Thanks,
    Fred

Re: setting a tapered pole

Fred, if that pole is straight except for the taper, why not just hold your level against it on all four sides and adjust until the bubble is the same distance off center all the way around?

You could also use some nails, a board and string. place the board across the top of the pole. Then measure from the center of the butt to the edge of the but and transfer this distance to the board on the top. Run a sting line from the board to the butt and pound nails into the pole even with the string ling line and on which you can place yor level. Two or three of these should be all you need.

Me, I'd use Birds method as its much less trouble.

Egon

Hang 2 plumb bobs or weighted strings at the top before you set it. One of them a quarter of the way around the pole from the other. when both strings are hanging at the center of the pole, in my mind it sholud be pretty close to plumb.

Thanks for the replies.
    You know, I hadn't thought about reading the level out of level. Great idea as were the rest.

Since adding a door will effectively reduce the amount of light in the building unless I open it all the way, I also figured I would add some power back there. I see where this is right up your alley, Jerry, so if you don't mind....
    I'd like to add enough juice for a few lights and a reseptacle. Just something I can run a drill motor or grinder off of once in a while. The wire would run about 60' inside off of a 200a box and then about 40' underground until it gets in the pole barn. Could you help me out with what amp breaker, what wire size, can I start with romex and then come out of a junction box with the underground wire, do I need to run the power into a small service panel in the pole barn just for the stated use????

Thank you much

Fred,
    A 100' run is not all that much, but also figure the distance in the barn. Figure for the future needs as long as you are going to do it.
    You seem to have a minimal load in there (for now). But jumping up a wire size or two for now, will pay in the future. For a 100' run with a load of 10 amps(estimated), you'll need #10, at least in my way of thinking. I personally would run a 240V 30-40 amp feed and put in a sub-panel. Run some #6's and be done with it. But you could get by with a 20 amp feed on #10 wire for one 120V circuit.
    If you need any other guidance, please feel free anytime.

Jerry

It's just an old pole barn, so it won't see much action except storage and an occassional electric hand tool, but I see what you're saying, Jerry. Just in case I tear it down some day and put up a nice metal sided "pole barn" (it does sit on a foundation), I will run the underground wire in conduit along with a 1/4" nylon rope so I can pull something else through it if need be someday.

Thanks for your help.