Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barb wire/smooth electric fence together

Re: barb wire/smooth electric fence together

Won't need a pacemaker anymore,just keep a hold on the fence and it'll keep a jumpin.
    A long time ago I was at an auction and bought an electric weed eater back when they first came out. I tinkered with it and gave it to my grandma. She was trimming out next to the fence and started screaming that something was wrong with that weed eater,it was (granny quote) " shocking the **** out of me" What she didn't notice is that nothing was wrong with the weed eater,she'd gotten her butt up against the electric fence. It did'nt kill her ,but it sure was funny to the rest of us.

Go to Premier fence website. There is a story about a toddler that was in wet grass and did actually get killed. My Dad has a pacemaker, I wouldn't even take a chance of finding out what it would do.

I went to the website and didn't find the story. Can you provide a link?

Cowboydoc I'am sorry that I'am not that learned in the ways of computers to put a link to the page I was reading. So go to Premier's site then to fencing page next scroll down to 110 volt fencers then jump down 3/4 of the way down that page in italics is the story.

I just registered because this is a serious topic!

I assume he is talking about Premier1Supplies. Here is the link with the quote at the bottom

Any manufacture that says otherwise is only concerned about selling units or their fencer is a POS. For large animals it will probably not be a problem to have electric barbed fence. With that said I will never do it. If shocked enough an electric fence can and will kill a young child or small animals if they become trapped (ether barbed or woven). Anyone that has been shocked by a "Good" fencer will agree. I can and do work on my electric fence on dry days and get by without feeling much of anything. I have also ONCE bumped a steel T post with my chest while working on a fence... it sure as heck did not feel good and nearly dropped me (I have the IntelliShock 284 110v AC Energizer sold by Premier1Supplies). Now wet grass would do the same. So combine a kid or small animal and give it 15-20 shocks of that I know they will not be in to great a condition afterwards. Now what if it was 5+ minutes of that?

If you are going to mix barbed and smooth electric at least put the electric on standoffs so the animal or person hits it first. I'm planning a new fence this year and the only barbed will be 1-2" off the ground to keep coyotes and dogs out (prevents digging) and the electric will be on standoffs.

Please fence smart [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Carl

On edit:
    To answer your question... for what you want just do the 5 strand barbed and skip the electric. If the neighbors livestock is out they will likely find an easier target vs plowing over a good 5 strand barbed fence. Plus you will not have to mess with checking for weeds, grass, etc grounding out your fence.