Thread: well & septic

well & septic

I purchased a home with out a leach field and wish to install one. The tank is in the middle of a hill with only one way to run a leach line. How close can I run the line to my well without contaminating it ?
    Thanks Chuck

Re: well & septic

Check with your local health department but in our area it is a hundred feet of separation.

In Ohio, it is 50 feet.

In my area, it is also 100 ft seperation and 50 ft or more from the property line.

This also depends on the perk tests, since not all soil conditions are suited to drain fields.

Most septic designs will take into consideration the amount of rise and/or fall from the tank to the field. If it is higher than the tank a pump system will be required. If the drain field lateral will be at different elevations then a pump and distribution manifold will also be used. This manifold has control valves to ensure that equal amounts will go to each lateral, regardless of their elevation.

My experience, FWIW. My drain field is on a steep hill side with about 2 foot difference between each of three laterals. The septic tank is located about 40 higher than the field and I'm still required to have pump to ensure that the manifold recieved the specified pressure for the distribution.. The whole system came with a neat operating instruction video produced by some Washington state agency.

Steve

"A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" Lao Tzu

Northwest washington is 100 feet separation between leach lines and well.

same in NY, 100ft, If possible I would separate as much as possible with 100 being the minimum - you and your family will being drinking this water?

Ron