Thread: Goat Polio

Goat Polio

Had our first case of goat polio last week. Last Tuesday morning, my wife came in and told me the 10 week old was off his feed and wasn't acting right. I went out to look and found him hunched up and not active. I sat in the chair in his pen and all he would do is bury his head in my coat and lean on me.

We've just finished weaning him and figured maybe he wasn't getting enough water, so I made up a bottle of molasses water for him. No luck. Figuring he might drink formula, I made up a bottle of replacer and took that out. Still no luck.

By noon, he still had not improved, and had begun to stumble when he tried to walk. We called the vet and made an appointment to bring him in at 2 pm as a semi-emergency. They suggested in the meantime that we give him an antacid tablet.

When the vet looked at him she thought he might have a urinary tract infection that was causing him to hunch up. She gave us some antibiotics and pain medication and sent us home.

By six pm, he had begun to act like he was blind, stumbling around and walking into things. It was difficult for him to stand up and he had a hard time recognizing us even by our voices.

I called the vet at home and told her what was going on. She told me to watch him for 3 hours and then call her back. If things didn't improve, she would open the office for us.

Shortly before 9pm, the vet called and said she had to open the office for a dog that had been hit by a car, and would I like to bring the baby down for her to look at. We jumped in the truck and made another trip to the vet's office.

By now, the goat couldn't see or walk. We carried him into the office and got the diagnosis of goat polio. We were given two options. We could hospitalize him there, or she could give us a series of shots and send us home. We chose hospitalization.

After a rough night's sleep, we were both afraid to call the vet's office for a progress report. When we finally did call, they told us we could pick him up anytime. We were given a series of injections for him, (which ended Sunday.) For the next few days, we bottle fed him. The first day, we had to hold his face so he could hang onto the bottle and keep his tongue in his mouth. By Thursday night, he had gotten so he could hold the nipple himself, but still had a hard time finding it.

He has gotten a little bit better everyday since the vet visit. By Saturday, he was able to eat grain and drink from his bowl. (Of course, now that he's had several days of bottle feeding, he still expects it...) Last week he moved like he was 80. Very slow and shaky. I told the vet that this week he moves like he's 45, he's got some zip, but he tires out quick. He mostly has all of his sight back, but seems to have a little problem with things close up.

The treatment is Thiamine injections, intramuscular. This morning, the 4 week old was off his feed. We just took him to the vet's today and bought a bottle of thiamine and some extra needles to keep on hand (just in case).

From different things I've been able to find on the internet, the cause is food based. (Sudden changes, too much grain, bad hay, etc.) However, our vet said it can result from a number of things, including another illness. Either way, it's not very pretty to look at. In less than 10 hours, the little boy went from mearly sick to nearly dead.

Steve

Re: Goat Polio

I'm sorry you had such a fright, but glad things are improving.

You called it Goat Polio. Polio in humans is a viral infection. They don't sound the same. Is it called goat polio because of the symptoms?

Good luck and a quick recovery.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,

I've never raised goats and knew nothing of the disease before reading here, but a quick search came up with this article which gives a pretty good description of it.

larry

Informative article. Sound like weaning might have been the cause.

Thanks for the link. Can always learn something new on CBN or TBN.
    Gary

Gary,

The symptoms are somewhere between polio and a stroke. It's almost like having both at the same time, because the animal loses muscle control and memory. When we went to take him from his pen to hospitalize him, he had managed to work his way into his hut, but had walked straight in, hitting his head on the back wall, and was standing there stuck. He was totally lost and couldn't figure out what to do, except stand in one place. Reminded me of a cross between Alzheimers and mad cow. Remember those films of the cows that could barely walk? This looked a lot like that, scared the bejeebies outta me!

The first day out of hospital, he was able to walk slowly, and managed to get himself stuck on his fence. He was bawling and walked into the fence with his mouth open. When he closed his mouth, it closed around one of the fence wires and he couldn't figure out how to get himself unstuck. I had to go pry open his mouth and pull him away from the fence so he could get loose.

We went back this week and bought a bottle of thiamine, and gave the little guy two more shots. It seems to have been enough to put him over the top, since he's now gotten more of his close vision back, and has gotten a lot more agile since yesterday.

The Onion Creek site is a pretty good one. They appear to be primarily breeding meat animals as opposed to dairy, but the principles are the same.

Steve

I'm glad he seems to be improving as time goes by.

We recently had a small dog that was going blind and had "doggie Alzhimers" as my vet called it. One night we were awakened by a thumping sound. Upon investigation, we found that she had walked between the bathtub and toilet and was bumping into the wall. She couldn't figure out how to get out.
    Gary

It's sad when they do that. As comical as it appears, it's still a sad thing to watch.

Steve