Thread: miniature herefords

miniature herefords

good morning,
    just a couple of questions, since i'm a newbie to this site.
    anyone have miniature herefords? i have 12.2 acres and i'm looking at the herefords for an ag exemption on my property taxes. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] cost?
    how about worldfeeder bermuda grass? anyone use this product? cost?

thank you and good luck,
    bluebonnet2

Re: miniature herefords

Hello bluebonnet2, and welcome to CBN. We are still weighing the costs vs. the projected savings. We would save about $800 a year on the taxes, but would have cattle associated expenses higher than that (as near as we can figure). We really want the wildlife exemption, but you have to get the 1d1 (used to be called ag) first, then you can transition to the wildlife. Our county appraiser is coming down hard on the folks with the wildlife exemption to make sure they are doing the annual things to keep current (read: spend money in the local economy). We talked with the appraiser, and he was actually helpful (although he didn't give out advice that would make it easy for us, as the county would lose some revenue).

Oh, make sure and get us some pictures as your house construction progresses.

In my other post about Tifton vs World Feeder I misstated. I wrote Tifton 44 and should have written Tifton 85.

Ed

I discussed WorldFeeder with my extension agent and he was not very much in favor of it. Synopsis: It will under certain circumstances of good water and fertilizer outperform many other grasses but in most instances the conditions required to actually attain that performance are not economicaly realizable in common practice. it is not drought tollerant and will not perform well in marginal conditions.

The advertising hype is certainly entertaining though, isn't it?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"