Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salsa anyone?

Re: Salsa anyone?

Bird, What a travesty! No cilantro?????

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird ... re meat ... particularly skirt steak ... the cut (it's a cut of the diaphram I'm told) is often used in fajitas ... but it is a favorite of the French.

Aside from filet, it is my favorite cut as it usually has a very rich flavor. Some complain it's a little pricey up north here, but I find it to be moderately priced. It DOES cook down quite a bit - high fat content - but that's part of what makes it so good now isn't it. On our wood grill ... they are terrific. I only marinade red meat if it's a tough cut. I'll never understand why people want to alter the flavor. Some call it enhancing the flavor, but I guess I'm a purist! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Lastly, it's time to get around to trying that grilled cabbage recipe you got from a post of mine. Real curious to know if you think it's as good as we do here at home.

My habanero crop all but failed with frosts and over-rain last year .. so far, this spring looks like it will be bumper habanero for us. We make hot sauce out of it and also zucchinni relish. Not for the feint of heart to be sure.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Doug

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it's time to get around to trying that grilled cabbage recipe

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, we've tried it, Doug. The only trouble is that my wife and I like cabbage, but none of the rest of our family does, so we won't often cook a whole head of cabbage at a time just for the two of us. Of course, none of that one we did went to waste, 'cause I just reheated leftovers in the microwave until I ate all of it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have read that skirt steak was originally very cheap and that was the reason it was the original fajita meat, although I don't think any of the restaurants use it for fajitas now. And I've never bought skirt steak myself, but we have neighbors who frequently grill skirt steak which they buy from a local hispanic meat market already marinated, and I really have no idea what the recipe is, but it's very heavily seasoned, a different flavor from any other I've eaten, but also very good as far as I'm concerned. They use an old charcoal grill with the wood chunk charcoal instead of the brikettes. I don't know how much different it would taste if cooked on my gas grill, but I intend to buy some of it and find out. In fact, the neighbors brought us a big plate of it Sunday evening.

My computer has been down for several days due to power outages in WV from T-storms. I log back on and find the salsa question has turned into fajitas! I gotta love it!

I've tried several of the commercial fajita marinades and have been disappointed. Does anyone have a recipe or can you recommend a good fajita marinade? Or maybe I just didn't have enough magarita to then believe it was good! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

txdon,

How do you work your cilantro? We put two small plants in with some other herbs and now they are threatening to take over the whole planter. Do you just cut off the seed heads to keep the plants producing small flavorful leaves, or do you have to keep the whole plant trimmed back?

Chuck

I don't really have a recipe, but I use tequila, lime juice, olive oil, jalapeno and garlic for my marinade. Yum.

Thanks for the info Hondo! My only question is, do you marinade the meat in the tequila or drink it while it marinades? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Both! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Though I'm more likely to put tequila in a marinade than in me, except for the occasional late night glass of reposado while listening for the coyotes...

I've also used it in various sauces. A splash here, a splash there.

My favorite Salsa recipe:

3 ripe tomatoes
    2 green onions sliced thin on the bias
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    1/4 cup of fine chopped parsley and or Cilantro
    1 Tablespoon toasted cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 Tablespoon Champagne or unseasoned rice wine vinegar
    1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 Tablespoon of fresh lime juice or Nellie &amp; Joes
    Red pepper flakes to the appropriate heat level

Peel, seed and dice tomatoes. I toast the cumin seeds in a small cast iron skillet. Be carefull when toasting the seeds and use a low flame. Only a light toast is necessary to release the aroma and oil from the seeds. Toss all the goodies together and try not to eat it all before you make it to your chair ! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the recipe!!!

Now, I must ask "who or what is Nellie and Joes"?

Thanks again!

Rhonda