Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single well, multiple branch line installation

Re: Single well, multiple branch line installation

Somewhere down the line you have to produce 90 PSI. be it via one pump or multiple pumps of smaller incriments.

If I recall correctly the downhole pumps just stack more rotors for more pressure and add diameter to increase volume.

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The difference is that you don't have to make the 90 PSI on ALL the water and then burn that pressure with a regulator at the lower level take-outs. Good hydraulic design maintains system pressures at the lowest possible levels for as long as possible to conserve horsepower. It's the "pressure zone" thing like they use in tall buildings, just on flatter, less extreme circumstances. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I know that there is always a tendency to want to go to one large single unit for simplicity and lower first cost, but the long term effect of dealing with those kinds of pressures in a domestic water system is going to be negative. Yes.....they just add stages to the sub and use a bigger motor. The PROBLEM is that a unit like that wants to overpump terribly at lower-than-design pressures and in certain bowl/impeller combinations, upthrust from the impellers at high-flow-low-pressures can be problematic if you happen to be pumping a lot of volume at the lower take-outs. Sooooo....you need a flow control valve....another maintenance item......to prevent upthrust. It just gets to be more and more of a problem to go the single pump route. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Sounds like JCDave knows what he is talking about to me. Sort of like the Tortoise and the Hare.

If I'm not too late to chime in... I used to have some ideas as regards the engineering of water systems being a trained physicist and all... Then I talked to a lady at the company that built my submerged well pump and got a fast lesson in practicality as regards multiple pressure tanks and their locations.

I suggest you do something similar prior to desiging and building something that might be well intended but suboptimal in actual performance and longevity.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"