Thread: Be careful with Paypal

Be careful with Paypal

I went to Paypal to pay a vendor for an on-line purchase I made. 5 minutes later I discovered a world of spyware had been installed on my machine via Active-X controls. It's possible that the vendor and not paypal was responsible, but I will still be extremely cautious the next time I have a need to use them. Anyone else have a similar experience? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Be careful with Paypal

I bet you are using internet explorer for your browser, with active x installed. I suggest you go to mozilla.org, and download their browser, which does not have active x and is not bothered with spyware like IE is. Try it or Firefox, also by mozilla and also free. They are real good browsers.

Thanks. I changed the Active-X profile to PROMPT for unfamiliar sites. It's a bit of nuisance, but I don't want to give up the active-x aspects of other sites that I enjoy.

Ya can't have it both ways, automatic and protected!

If you leave your doors and windows wide open, you may get insects in the house.

I don't use Internet Exploder, I use Netscrape. There are spyware remover software applications that will "clean your machine."

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I agree...Mozilla is the way to go....much safer and for me more reliable than IE....plenty of good features too that Microsoft won't come up with for years until enough of us realize that there are other GOOD alternatives to their monopoly and enough of us take that next step to using something other than a MS product! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Prompt is the default setting. Just make sure you always say no unless you have a very good reason for saying yes. There are very, very few legit ActiveX controls you want to load. And many you want to avoid. Basically unless it's signed by Microsoft or Macromedia say no.