Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual bevel mitre saw or not?

Dual bevel mitre saw or not?

Need some opinions here....we are planning to put an addition onto our house this autumn and I'm going to need a mitre saw...I have an old manual compound mitre saw but that's not going to cut it(pardon the pun! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ) with all the trim work, etc. that I'll be doing. Going with a dual bevel compound mitre saw jacks up the price considerably...but I'm thinking it will be worth it. Wondering what opinions are out there on mitre saws? Keep in mind I'm very much a novice wood worker!

Re: Dual bevel mitre saw or not?

Go for it.

Egon

You don't ever NEED a double bevel saw but if you are going to be doing a lot of crown moulding it is handy. That is about the only time you need it. Either way, it is a great tool to have. It's probably my most frequently used saw.

What is it about your current saw that wont work for cutting trim?

Current saw has nothing wrong with it...except it's manual and I'm looking at a lot of cutting in the near future with the addition going up in October. It does require mounting to a solid surface to keep it from moving around while trying to make a cut.....I'm just looking for a quicker way to make the cuts and something with a higher fence to accomodate wider moldings, etc. I will be buying a saw but was just wondering if the dual bevel is worth the extra $$ or am I just lazy!!?? [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

In my opinion the dual bevel set up on a proper bench will be well worth it.

I ended up with a Delta sidekick which comes with a foldable bench but is only a single bevel. The only double bevel on the market at that time was a Mikita @ $1200. which was beyond my means.

A Radial arm saw will do all the same things only not as handy.

As for justification you can't cause it could all be done with a good fine toothed crosscut hand saw.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now I understand. Might as well get a saw with the laser blade guide (or whatever they're called). [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm hearing that the lasers are not very accurate ... Is that true? I have a compound dual slide Mikita and it is dead on accurate and square. The new Bosch is getting a lot allocades from the test I read in the mags!
    Leo

From what you have been reading can you tell me anything about the quality of a Delta? They seem to be in my price range..........

The lasers have to be mounted to the side of the blade which makes them not very accurate. They do have expensive models with dual lasers (one on each side) that would be accurate though. I just use the physical blade (with the saw off) to see where exactly I'm cutting.