Thread: Driveway Sprayer Recommendations

Driveway Sprayer Recommendations

Help! Our crushed rock driveway (quarter mile long) is being taken over by weeds and grass. I'd like to spray it with Round Up or a suitable alternative, and need some sprayer recommendations - something with a tank, maybe 15 to 25 gallons, that'll sit in the bed of my pickup, is easy to assemble and use. Any ideas?

Re: Driveway Sprayer Recommendations

I got my 25 gallon sprayer from Agri-Supply. I think the cost was $149 or so. Fits on the carry-all for my tractor, but would do well in your pick-up bed too. Might try Agri-supply and look for item #32996.
    Give them a call. The sprayer is sold under the Fimco mane and TSC carries it as well.

Thanks, Inspector507! I see that it requires a 12-volt battery. Is it just a matter of connecting a battery to the pump, or is there something else to it?

The 25 gallon Fimco I have will power 4 boom nozzles which will give you up to 12ft swath, perfect for a driveway. Just rig a boom pole and tie it to the bumper of your truck and you'll be finished spraying before your ice tea starts sweating. I can spray herbicide over a 5-acre pasture in about 2 hours with it mounted on the back of my golf cart.

Lazy J,

Thanks very much!

Hondo,
    It has wires about 8-10 feet long on it with "battery clamps" attached. It could be run to the truck battery, but I think they may be too short for that. You could also connect it to your trailer connection if it's 6-7 wire with a hot feed. Or you could just put a cheapie auto battery in the truck bed and power if off of that. Recharge when needed.
    I connected it to my tractor battery at first, but since have added a 12V power outlet to plug it into.

I power the sprayer pump by connecting it to the tail light, splicing in a two-wire pigtail that is short and tucks out of the way easily. Then to switch the sprayer on, just turn on the lights. Works like a charm from the drivers seat.
    Also, Radio Shack has a 'cigarette lighter recepticle' insert that will plug into the power outlet in a vehicle, and I now use that in my Deere X485 (which has an aux. outlet for attachments such as radio, cell phone, or utility light). However, the Radio Shack insert has only a 7.5 Amp fuse, which can blow if the pump is trying to pump against a closed system. I plumbed in an adjustable valve to have overflow run back into the tank, which keeps the relief valve (60 psi) from activating.

Thanks everyone! I've ordered a 26 gallon sprayer with a 9 ft. boom. Can't wait!

Update: Our driveway is now a desolate wasteland! Love the sprayer and the boom. Thanks again for your advice.