Thread: pond fix

pond fix

Hey TBN,
    Hopefully there are some people from my area here to help with a round about figure on prices. My pond is about 70' in diameter. Not perfectly round, kinda oval. This time of year my property gets flooded bad. The pond sits in a valley to the property. My property is basicly runs to a slight valley. House on the front high side...woods on the back side gently sloping to the middle (valley). Water will fill across my property to the point where i cant access my back half. The water will get 1'-2' deep in spots. Normally dries up completly in july eccept for the pond. The pond has gotten real small during a draught but not dry completly. Im wondering if enlarging the pond may help me from flooding bad. Does anyone know of a good person to call to come look and give a quote and ideas to fix. I live in the Manchester, Shortsville, Canandaigua area if this helps with area referance to direct me to someone.
    Thanks Larry

Re: pond fix

Just a suggestion but perhaps make a rough estimate at how many cubic feet of water your land holds when you are flooded. This would give you an idea of the size pond required and if it would be feasable to enlarge it.

Egon

not sure how much water you are talking about, but it sounds as though rerouting the water path with culverts / grade change is the least expensive solution...

That be a great idea, but no place to route it to. Last year i used a 5-1/2 horse gas engine pump and pump water 500 foot up to the end of my property. Its borderd by a real deep hedge row of wooded area. To both sides of me our neighbors and ya cant very well pump or route water to them. Allthough the neighbor to the south of me put drainage on his land that comes towards me [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] There is no road side ditch in front of my property to route water to. Without waders or leaving my property i cant even get by the flooding this time of year. There is actually no reason i need to get to my woods this time of year. Its mostly just me wanting to do something about the standing water before it soaks in. My wife says why worrie about it. It goes away. But she would like to see it dryer...she just dont want to spend alot on it. I would like to get it done as cheap as possible myself.
    Larry

Egon,
    The way its raining right now its adding a few more cubic yards as i type [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] I dont know a formula to figure that out. Can you enlighten me [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] The wife is more worried about a puddle at the front steps than the back yard. Cant track no mud in the house ya know. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]
    Larry

Have you thought about contacting your county extension office? Your extension agent should be able to answer your questions about expanding your pond and may offer solutions for your drainage problems. Your taxes pay their salary and their services are free so you may as well utilize their knowledge and expertise.
    Chris

Just make an estimate of the depth x width x length in feet and you will an approximate figure in cubic ft of water. Divide this number by 27 and you will have an estimate in cubic yards.

Egon

That is one way. If the water drains, maybe consider deeping the drainage path. My neighbor does this for me every year with his backhoe.

He can also enlarge your pond. Check my profile and send me an email for his number.

Buck

check out this site. Good farm calculator.
    Bob
    ag calculator
    Takes a pretty big chicken to drag home a coyote!