Thread: cab swap

cab swap

I've got an old Chevy 4wd with a rotted cab. so I got a truck with a good cab to swap over. Any words of wisdom from anyone who has done this?

Re: cab swap

It's been a while but here goes...

Doghouse off. Disconnect obvious electrical/mechanical things including steering at gearbox. Hook up to a sturdy hoist. Remove cab/frame bolts (will likely require hot wrench, rubber will burn). Lift cab and double check for missed connections.

Reverse process with other cab.

Obviously, grossly oversimplified but the specifics will depend on your knowledge/capabilities. If you're not used to this stuff, label every connection and take pictures to remember where things go.

Do you have a title for the new cab? The VIN is in the cab so your old truck will take the "personality" of the new one [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Does the main electrical hook up at the fire wall come apart easy? yep I made darn sure to get a title for it. the registry will actually give me a new title for the hybrid/project truck. I'm actually using the dash from my 76 In it so the vin# is still in the air, vin# on a76 is in the door and the 82 is in the dash.

My experience dates back to models in the late 70s and early 80s (Chevy). On those there is a connector at the firewall. A single bolt (5/16 I think) holds it all together. The connectors themselves were all the same but the actual wiring in them could differ depending on options. Common wires were always in the same pin locations though.

Another tip, rather than disconnect the brake lines and have to re-bleed, pop the master cylinder off the booster [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

if you are going to repaint the truck or want the truck to match then paint the cab inside and out while it is off of the truck. It will save a lot of time and hassle to do it now rather than later. When I did my old Ford several years ago I wish i had taken the cab off, i could have done the underside and firewall much easier. Since i replaced the engie i did the firewall then but it still would have been easier off of the truck. Then again its a Chevy, can you actually call those trucks?

I've done several of these - if you have any specific questions or just want a general run-down you can e-mail me at

MelissaNGregg@Comcast.net

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

well I got the old cab off wasnt as hard as I thought. getting it on, well I'll find out!

pic#2

Little wonder you had to swap it out... someone put the dash panel on the wrong side [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Looks like you're having fun. Brings back memories, thanks for the pictures [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob