Thread: soil test results

soil test results

i am a new farmer in georgia. everyone said our grass was no good for animal grazing, because we needed lime, fertilizer, so-fourth added since it had been 10 years untouched. i sent soil samples off, and it came back as no lime needed and all other fertilizer sufficient. to me it looks like i can buy cows and start farming. what to do. thanks

Re: soil test results

Ain't Mother Nature great...leave ground fallow for 10 years and she will pretty much take care of the fertilization by natural processes....

As far as lime, here in Georgia, I use the "Broom Sedge" as my guide...when you start seeing it come in, it is time to add lime...

I went to the sale barn Monday this week...the only reason I see you need to take a trailer to the sale is to carry all the money you will need to buy cattle [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] all the cattle ya will buy with that trailer load of money, ya can carry home in a Volkswagon...I ain't seen em this high for years!!!

GareyD

Thank you Garey for the post. Garey, I bought the farm in order to live out my retirement from the military, but all I get is don't do it. My grandfather lost our family farm in the depression years. I saw how it took all the life out of my daddy not to be able to farm through my life. He is now 88 and still going and when he's on the farm he's young again.
    Money is tight , so I will wait and do it the right way, because the broom straw is all over the place already. Thanks little creek. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

These guys have several forage products that work well. See http://www.barusa.com/

You could overseed this winter and let the frost plant it for you. That wouldn't involve a lot of equipment.

If you look around you can probably find some cattle to get started cheaply.

Watch the classifieds, not all cattle sells thru the sale barns.

There isn't a rule you have to start out with a big operation, don't be afraid to buy a bred cow or two and get your toes wet, so to speak.

Littlecreek:
    Grass will not grow and produce as much forage if it is not properly fertilized but the cows will eat it and flourish for the most part if there is enough grass for the herd size regardless. The exception to this is that some necessary minerals may be lacking for the optimum health of the animals. This can be remedied by feeding the proper mineral supplements. It is not a good time to be getting in the cow business because it is generally cyclical and prices will drop. It is also probably not a good time to keep replacement heifers for my herd but I'm doing it [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. The value of being able to walk among your cows as the commercial says is, "priceless".
    So shop carefully, build-up gradually and enjoy it.

TK