Thread: Preserve eggs with no frige for up to a year

Preserve eggs with no frige for up to a year

Preserving Eggs
    One gallon of the solution (1 pint of sodium silicate solution to 9 or 10 pints of water yielding a little more than a gallon) should preserve 75 to 100 dozen eggs (900 - 1200 eggs) according to Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living Old Fashioned Recipe Book. If you want smaller quantities just keep the ratio intact at the 1:9 ratio. ie: 1/2 cup to 4 1/2 cups or 1 cup to 9 cups or 1 pint to 9 pints of water. Here are the details of the method referred to as the Water-glass method. Pack the eggs when they are between 24 hours and 4 day old. Older eggs don't keep as well. Unfertilized eggs will keep longer than fertilized eggs.
    Start with a clean crock or (6 gallon food grade) deep plastic pail. Boil the water and let it cool before you add it to the waterglass. Then pour the mixed solution into the crock or pail. Remember not to fill the crock or container more than about one third full of the solution because you will be adding eggs.
    Add the eggs. Do not wash the eggs before preserving them because the egg shell has a natural sealer on it that will be removed. Dirty eggs can be washed and used immediately. Make certain there is an extra 2 inches of solution covering them. In hot weather it evaporates pretty fast so watch it carefully. Cover the container as tightly as you can to ensure that no insects can enter the container. Store it in a cool dark place. Don't let it freeze.
    It starts out as a clear liquid but gradually turns to a cloudy jelly. When adding additional eggs or making up for loss due to evaporation, just be sure to cover them with about 2 inches of solution mixed at a 1:9 ratio. Preserving the eggs in this manner will keep them for up to one year. Eggs should be washed thoroughly before using.
    Be sure to follow any safety tips or directions on the sodium silicate container or from the pharmacist while handling the solution or Sodium Silicate itself.

Clarifying note (don't you wish!):

1. Water Glass is Sodium Silicate.
    2. A water glass is a container for a beverage.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Preserve eggs with no frige for up to a year

Interesting idea Pat. You find all sorts of things.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Beth'ca Pat's been talking to the blue water group Gary.

Egon

Hey, I'm employed at Boeing, I know all about Blue Water. Our planes drop it all over the world.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I thought was extraterestial Blue Ice Gary.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I originally read about this back in grade school. Supposedly it was a common practice when electric refrigeration wasn't commonly available. I wonder if the Amish do it?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I've never heard of this Pat, I wonder if I can persuade my brother to give it the taste test, he he he [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]