Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUTDOOR PHONE BOX

OUTDOOR PHONE BOX

I have used many of these before, and this is the best price I've found.
    I was a professional phone installer at one time.

Now I have put in two of these around here , one in a padock area and one
    on an outdoor rooftop patio.
    They work great!!

Re: OUTDOOR PHONE BOX

I rather just use my cellphone.

I guess I just don't see the value in something like this -- other than from the dugout to the bullpen.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I'd rather use my cell phone too. Could have a heck of a phone bill if someone got in one of those boxes!
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

With our telephone service you can dial your own number and hang up and it will ring your phones. When it quits ringing someone has answered and you pick up your phone and talk. Takes just a bit of training to get used to but not that much. Using your own phone to call yourself has no charge associated.

In our area cell phone connectivity is iffy.

I also like the cordless phones where you can have several phones, each with its own charger base but only a phone line to the "main" charger base. Anywhere you can get power yo have a phone. Can be easily adopted to work from a battery or a solar charged battery if a long run of wire is inconvenient or you would move it around a lot. Some of the phones have pretty decent range and are set up to page each other and act as intercom.

Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I like the cordless too for wandering around with , the cell is good but unreliable too.
    Maybe on the flatlands, but we're at 8,000 ft.
    Snow and lightening are always causin it grief. But they are much better than they used to be.
    I too, like Pat , have added talkbattery to the unused pairs of wire and can 'intercom' thru these.
    Of course , everyone still just yells anyway. LOL

Addendum:

If you are electronically inclined toward the RF end of the spectrum, you can certainly improve on the range of a cordless phone. A good way is to get the antenna of the base unit high and in the clear. This isn't always convenient for the whole base unit hence the ref to the RF tech. You can extend/remote the antenna. A resonant vertical antenna with decent gain will greatly extend the range and clarity at range for a cordless phone. There are security considerations which tend to indicate that in extended range operations you need to consider phones that are not subject to eaves dropping. Many of the newer phones are not easy for unautherized listeners to eaves drop with.

Not to "talk down to "DIY electricians" but at the frequencies of the phones these days you need a competent RF tech to extend an antenna and the RIGHT materials such as coax with low attenuation at the freqs of interest. Don't forget lightning protection! Antennas can be mistaken by ma nature for lightning rods with potential disastrous results for the equipment, operators, and innocent bystanders.

GMRS and FRS handie talkies are a reasonable alternative and can be used at Wally World to keep ma and pa in touch while he looks at guy things and she visits the "unmentionables" displays.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Several years ago I was doing some inspection work in a big hotel in San Francisco. One of the maintenance guys was a recent Russian immigrant. As is so often the case, Ruskies are skilled in "get by" tactics which were necessary to overcome the many obstacles to daily life in a country that is screwed up almost beyond imagination by years of government interference and in some cases non-interference with the private sector. ANYWAY....he told me that when he wants to shoot the bull with his buddies back in the Ukrainian homeland, he just takes a cheap cordless phone and flips it on and slowly cruises a suburban subdivision until he hears a dial tone, and PRESTO.....he has a phone line to use. Whenever a cordless phone is off the cradle the cradle is constantly asking: "Where are you? Where are you?" answer: I'm here with this Ruskie!....I'm here with this Ruskie!" He says the cheaper and crappier the phone is, the easier it is to pick up a signal. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

It isn't just a cheap and dirty Ruskie trick! Lots of "cheaters" used to do this. It is theft/fraud. There is no justification. It is a lot harder these days with sophisticated spread spectrup encryption being used with cordless phones.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat

have added talkbattery to the unused pairs of wire and can 'intercom' thru these.
    If you don't mind can you briefly explain how you wire the 'intercom' through the extra pairs of wires. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]